Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kind of along the No parent policy? Post.

I have a New Doctor because my Old One left.But my DW has always went in because of her Midical background,it helps me understand what is going on.My New Doctor don't like this.

How many go in with their Spouse when going to the Doctor?

big rockpile

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Depending on the reason for my visit, I may or may not have my husband there. Could be from an educational standpoint that he is there. I may have him listen to the doctor to help me remember what he said, or it could be something that affects both of us and I want his opinion. Same goes for when he has a visit.

Pat

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I always go alone.

I'm afraid that my wife might see me naked.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oggie said:
I always go alone.

I'm afraid that my wife might see me naked.

Yea gives my DW chance to see what she is missing.

Yea susieM I need Mom because I'm scared.No she picks up things that go in one ear and out the other with me.

I can't believe it the Clinic just called telling me I have to come in for Lab Work that I was late having it done.

big rockpile

·
Registered
226 Posts
I always go in with my husband. He never remembers everything to ask!

·
Registered
865 Posts
I usually go with my hubby because he never tells me the truth about what the doctor said when I question him later. :) He also likes to downplay his symptoms when the doctor asks about them.

He only goes with me If we are having an ultrasound or an early OB appointment. Otherwise I call my mom before going because she is an RN. I know all the right questions and medications to ask for beforehand.

6,637 Posts
except in an emergency, I wouldnt tollerate that kind of behavior from a doctor.

she very seldom goes.

well ok. She never goes. I just dont like beligerent people when I am paying for their services

If she wasnt so ornery, I would like us to go with each other.

·
Premium Member
23,630 Posts
I always go in with dh, he never remembers doctors orders. He usually goes with me. I hate doctors and like to have someone to pass the time with and give me a hand to hold when I get scared. My mommy lives too far away to go in with me.

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
big rockpile said:
This is kind of along the No parent policy? Post.

I have a New Doctor because my Old One left.But my DW has always went in because of her Midical background,it helps me understand what is going on.My New Doctor don't like this.

How many go in with their Spouse when going to the Doctor?

big rockpile
I ALWAYS go with my wife to her doctors appointments just like she ALWAYS accompanied me to chemotherapy treatments and doctors appointments.

I had one nurse tell me once that it wasn't policy for the spouse to be present during appointments. I just looked at her and said "Yeah, right." and walked in with her. I have never heard anything like that since and we still go to the same doctor.

Just give 'em the old silent "stick it in your ear" treatment and go in anyway. Being disrespectful isn't necessary and don't force your way in but if any stink is made over it, let it be a nurse who makes it. Once she's done with her hissy fit, explain to her that you love your wife and she is coming in with you because it's "your" appointment.

I could understand it with an emergency room visit but not a doctors appointment.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
It all depends what DH is going for. I have been to the doctors with him many times when I wanted to understand his care and treatment.

Find a new doctor!

·
..where do YOU look?
3,920 Posts
If you have a doctor that is intimidated or upset because you have someone in the room with you that has medical knowledge, then your doctor either is too immature to be your doctor, or he/she has very low self-esteem and should be thrown to the curb... 'course, that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
5,388 Posts
We go alone, except when something major is going on. My husband went with me for the "briefing" visit before minor surgery once. It was for moral support and to help me remember everything I was supposed to remember before surgery. Nobody batted an eye.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I wouldn't have a Dr that didn't realize that treating me sometimes involves DH support - and vice versa. that isn't to say that we go together all the time - in fact, we rarely do. But if I want to or want Dh to come with me - the Dr just needs to agree with it. I haven't had a problem yet.

My FIL was the first one to go in a delivery room in Springfield Mo. He just insisted and didn't let the nurse stop him. It was on child number 7. I am certainly glad the "tradition" of the father remaining down the hall is no longer observed.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I know of one doctor who had a rule like this. It was her policy because she felt if a person was having affairs or gay relations they wouldn't say it in front of a spouse and that would impact their health care. Stupid reason but since this persons practice was in the city (Philly). I can sort of understand it. If I go with my DW I wait in the waiting room. I rarely go to any doctor and she has never gone with me. Usually she goes with one of her friends and then they can go shopping or out to eat after -- lots of time for girl talk.

Ken in Glassboro, NJ :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
turtlehead said:
We go alone, except when something major is going on. My husband went with me for the "briefing" visit before minor surgery once. It was for moral support and to help me remember everything I was supposed to remember before surgery. Nobody batted an eye.
We do things the same way. Never occurred to me to ask my dh to come along on a simple or routine doctor appt. He came along a few times when I was pregnant, was there to help me get through a ruptured disc & surgery, and he brought me to the ER for my emergency appendectomy. Thankfully he has never had anything serious enough that I needed to accompany him on doctors visits. I expect that may change as we get older though.

I agree, if you want your spouse in the room with you then the doctor should be accomodating. If you are trying to hide an affair or something like that, then you probably won't be asking your spouse along to the appt anyway.

·
Registered
368 Posts
We all go. LOL. All 5 of us. Our doc never minds. Though every once and a while it is nice to go by myself. Often with monthly OB appointments dh is working and so me and the kids go or my mom watches them. If it's an important one, like ultrasound or later preg. then dh will come with me. For the same reason your wife goes with you.. I get stuck on the 1st thing she says and the rest goes right thru!! If he can't make these important ones (he's never missed an ultrasound.) then I get her to write my instructions down. They work for YOU!! You don't have to bow to them.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I re-read your post and now I understand why you are asking.

Seek out another doctor and do it now. That guy/gal sounds like a jerk. A spouse should be allowed in if the PATIENT wants it to be that way. Good grief, what is he afraid of?

Pat

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
I go with my hubby. I have some medical background and he has a heart problem so I am there to listen to what the doctor is telling him since I am familar with medical terminology. Hubby doesn't have a clue what the doctor is saying and won't ask the doc to give information in plain English.

Hubby goes with me most of the time unless he is working and then I go alone.

We have never had a doctor tell us that we can't both go in even in an ER. I have had the nurses ask hubby to step out for a little while so I can be examined but no one has ever ask me to step out while hubby is examined. LOL

southrngardngal-Jan

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
patnewmex said:
I re-read your post and now I understand why you are asking.

Seek out another doctor and do it now. That guy/gal sounds like a jerk. A spouse should be allowed in if the PATIENT wants it to be that way. Good grief, what is he afraid of?

Pat
Yea I was told to go in there get to know him.First he questions why my DW was in there.Then asked what was wrong.Then questioned why I was on Disability.

Like I told my DW at least he could have looked over some things about my past history. :shrug:

Anyway my DW told them we wasn't happy with him.They said lots of people weren't and we could just see the Nurse Practitioner if we wanted.Thing is I don't like putting that much more on her.

big rockpile

1 - 20 of 36 Posts