No Sat. or cable tv

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Mar 6, 2005.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

How many of you get along fine without the boob tube? I haven't had tv service for 4 years and don't miss it a bit. I do rent movies, but thats about the extend of my television watching.

2. Kadiddylak

Kadiddylak Member

I have satalite and a big screen Tv , but i can honestly i only watch about 1-2hrs of TV a week and if i do its something on Discovery channel or some sort of racing. I feel America watches to much TV and if more people would get out and plant a garden ride a bike go fishing the whole USA would be a better place to live.
    and taken a hella lot less pills...............

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Haven't had one in years and do not miss it at all. Finally bought DD a vcr/tv combo so she could watch movies, but it doesn't pull in any programming, which is great, because I can just let her put her movies in and not worry about something inappropriate coming into the house.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

same here. I don't miss satellite, except some of the PBS programming I liked such as Nature and National Geographic, but I can live with it because not watching as much t.v. gets me outdoors more or doing hobby work or net surfing. I had cable while living in town many years ago and it's the same old crap. It's a trade off, but so much junk on t.v. anyway that I don't miss it a hoot.

5. Shygal

Shygal Unreality star Supporter

We get NBC, and on a good day CBS.
    I dont miss it at all.

6. Hoop

Hoop Well-Known Member

I have cable, and don't plan to ever go without it.....or satelite.

There aren't many shows on the tube I enjoy, but there are some. I enjoy PBS, with offerings such as Frontier House, Antiques Roadshow, Frontline and some others.
    I enjoy watching Formula 1 racing, only available on Speedvision, and occasionally will tape a NASCAR race.

And of course, the ultimate homesteaders......the CBS show "Survivor", although this is far more a study of deception than homesteading.

Occasionally, a show on the HISTORY channel such as "The Real West" appeals to me.

Do I watch too much tv? Probably.

7. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Don't have cable or satellite-haven't for the last 14+ years. But we do get NBC and CBS, and PBS and Fox will come in clearly if the weather is right. So that is a lot of distraction if I am looking for it.

Have to admit to watching "Survivor" as well and "American Dreams". If I am needing mindless further I also catch "Apprentice". I will watch "Jeopardy" from time to time. None of the comedy shows have been regular fare in the past year. We certainly rent movies and own many.....the winter is when we watch the most.

TV has its place but our lives don't stop for it, and we certainly don't give up our real life to 'get caught up' on it. Now, that said, we did go to a friends' house to watch the Super Bowl on a clear station. What a nice excuse to have a lovely get together.

8. bare

bare Head Muderator

We did without for many years and of course didn't miss what we didn't have. The big reason was lack of reception. When mini-satellites started being installed free for the first three months, We went ahead and signed up. Still ohhing and ahhing about it, completely amazed at the quality of programming and reception that we get for a fairly reasonable cost.

Now, when something like Challenger blows up, or the Twin Towers are under attack, we know about it the same day. It took us a week to find out about Challenger. When I heard about the twin towers, I raced home to watch the news.

I won't deny there is a bunch of garbage available on the airwaves, but there is a ton of programming that is worthwhile and educational. And HBO...what more can I say!

If I had to give it up, I'd survive, especially if I still had access to the net, but frankly, I'd rather have both.

9. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

I run hard from 4:00 AM to 5-6:00 PM most days so I enjoy a little distraction in the evening. I have satellite and try to avoid channels with commercials. I watch mostly movie channels. I am already paying to watch TV, I don't want to be paying to watch advertisements.

10. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

We dont have cable or anything either, we do rent movies and the kids mainly watch PBS but my husband and I do not watch much tv so its not worth it to pay for something we wont use

11. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

There have only been a few brief periods in my entire life when we've had television at all. I've never had access to cable, except for a few months when we were staying with a friend -- and I wasn't impressed.

Now we have a TV, with VCR and DVD -- they belong to my grandmother, but it's mostly my mentally handicapped daughter who uses them to watch videos. We don't have or want any TV reception at all. I try to keep my daughter from having videos going constantly, as she mostly uses them for background noise, but she is autistic and can be very emotional (understatement of the year!). Sometimes we use videos or music to calm her down.

Kathleen

12. glenda

glenda Well-Known Member

We have a small 19" tv in our master bedroom however we hardly ever watch it. We do have our share of dvd and vcr tpes and when we want to watch something we will watch them.. Our computer has a dvd on it and that is in the living room so if we want to we can watch a movie on it. However we might watch a total of 3-4 hours a month.. If that. And we have young kids at home.
    glenda

13. Kris in MI

Kris in MI Well-Known Member Supporter

We haven't had cable, dish, or satellite tv since dh and I lived with our respective parents! Several years ago dh's mom gave us a gift certificate to an appliance/electronics/furniture store with the intent that we would purchase a satellite dish with it. She was a little put out when we told her we didn't want the dish and would like to put that certificate towards something else (a new mattress).

We just aren't much for tv here. In the summer it's rarely on. In the winter dh watches it more, but I'm not much of a tv watcher any time. Even when I do 'watch' tv I have to being doing something with my hands; crocheting, cross stitch, writing a letter, etc.

14. KatW

KatW Xander's Mom

We gave up watching tv years ago. We still rent and buy dvd's, including collections of our favorite tv series. It was hard with the series that were still running after we disconnected the cable-- people would keep trying to tell us about the latest episode and we'd have to stop them and wait a year or so until it came out on dvd.

I miss the news, when 911 happened I heard it on the radio and rushed over to a friends to watch the news. I also miss the home and garden shows but really and truly most of what we watched was crap, and I'm glad that we got rid of it.

I'm espescially glad that if/when we have kids they won't be bombarded with all the ads and stupid cartoons. It really bothers me seeing these little kids dressed head to toe in some character clothing and whining about wanting the latest toy. Our poor kids will have to suffer without all that consumerism.

15. bare

bare Head Muderator

I sure don't miss not having to rent movies. We have 15 channels of HBO/Cinnemax for around ten bucks a month and that's plenty of movies for me! I'd probably dump even that if it weren't for HBO's original programing like Deadwood, Six Feet Under and Carnivale.

I don't look back fondly on the trip to the video joint to wander helplessly through the boxes, trying to divine what the movie was about from the picture on the box! And the late fees because it wasn't worth a trip into town to return them on time. Jeeze, then there's the expense! At least two dollars and usually three or four a movie. Not to mention the whines when the popcorn is done and we sat down to watch the movie, only to find that it didn't work.

::bare, liking satellite more and more, the more he thinks about it::

16. antiquestuff

antiquestuff Well-Known Member

No TV and I have been much better off without it! Waste of money, time, and intelligence sitting in front of one of those things!

17. 4sarge

4sarge Well-Known Member

Love My Dish :haha: Freedom NOT to Try n Rent Videos

History Channel, Food Network, DIY, Travel etc. Keep Me Educamacated :eek:

Rewind, Wait for Something to Come Back to the Video Store.. Pacing the Aisles and Taking 2nd or 3rd Choice Home to Watch.

Cannot Do W/O the Internet ;) How Would I Keep Up with My Favorite Forums

18. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

You don't have to rent videos, you know. We almost never do. (Maybe once in two or three years, if that.) We check them out of the library. They have lots of old movies, which are usually cleaner than modern ones. They have a pretty fair selection of childrens videos, and lots of non-fiction (travel shows, documentaries, do-it-yourself stuff, and so on). Not all libraries are created equal, of course, but the one we have here has a pretty fair selection. Since almost everything we check out is for my daughter, we mostly get non-fiction, some children's (she loves Winnie-the-Pooh), and old musicals. There are very few newer movies that she will even stay in the same room with (dramatic tension sends her up the wall). She'll watch the same video three or four times in a row, if we don't change it, and knows most of them by heart -- Grandma and I stay in our own rooms a lot! (Grandma has her own sitting room, next to her bedroom -- done on purpose when we ordered the house so she could close a door when Juniper gets to be too much -- and she likes to read a lot.)

I just wish the library would get The Return of the King! Someone donated the first two, but I haven't seen the third one yet!

Kathleen

19. RandB

RandB Well-Known Member

It's the principle of the thing - TV was meant to be FREE - that's what they invented commercials for !! Now they have conned the public into paying for it, plus there are STILL commercials :rolleyes:

We receive 10 channels just fine over-the-air. That is more than enough TV for us. The older I get, the more TV annoys me. If it was just me, I would rarely turn it on. When DH is home, he likes to watch news & sports. I would rather read or web-surf. I guess the moral is - don't get old !

20. Tiffann4k

Tiffann4k Well-Known Member

We get our movies from the library as well, I have never in my life paid to watch a movie from a video rental place