No ripe tomatoes yet--Crazy idea?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by katydidagain, Aug 18, 2004.

1. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

I'm wondering if bagging some with an apple or some ripening agent inside might speed things along. I've test driven the dehydrators with jerky so I'm good to go but dried green tomatoes don't sound very appealing...

Yes, I'm getting desperate! :waa:

katy

2. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Apples and bananas are supposed to work for that....something with the gases given off. Have you been having really cold weather? Seems like you should have gotten something by now. How about wrapping the row in plastic (around the sides, not the top)

3. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

We are in northern vt ... not many 80 degree days this year and lots of rain, so we too have no tomatoes yet. It is so frustrating. I am going to be making picallil until I am blue in the face. Do you think the fruit thing will work from green or only streaky green/ red?

The plastic may not be a bad idea. I actually was considering heating the garden for a week to see what would happen... my husband just looked at me like I had lost it... guess I have!

4. steff bugielski

steff bugielski Well-Known Member

We are in southern NY and have had only a few ripe ones but they seem to be suffering from all the rain. I have absolutly no peppers. I had over 100 plants that looked great going in but then came the rain and all the flowers fell off. Even my beans have rotted, never again will he convince me to plant bush beans.
    steff

5. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

Here in N.W.Wa. we have had a really hot and dry summer. I still haven't had ripe tomatoes. To date I've harvested about 5 tomatoes off 4 plants. They are loaded with large green ones but just don't seem to want to get ripe. Everything else is doing fine, we have cucumbers by the armful but it is sure a slow tomato year.

6. We live in NH and we have had great luck with our tomatoes, actually the whole garden, last years was a disaster,but anyways. Though this wont help you for this year perhaps next. We have a lot of rocks on our property, so we took the excvator and made a simple rock wall, (they are more like boulders), we planted the tomatoes right next to the rocks, and every day i have to pick off about 3-5 tomatoes. Not to mention the sweet 100's, I cannot keep up with. Oh, our tomatoes are Early girls. The heat that the rocks absorbed during the day must get them thru the night, we have had a lot of unseasonal weather and rain too.

7. danswife

danswife Well-Known Member

Katy,Are you, like others here getting lots of rain? If not are you watering them daily? If so what I did last year when mine wouldn't ripen was just stop atering them until they ripened. Then I started watering again so more fruit could develop.

My problem this year is I have bunches and bunches of blooms but they seem perfectly content to just sit there like that looking pretty. So far as I can tell I don't have even one tiny green tomato. My kids cherry tomatoes are doing fine but the beefsteaks I'm so eagerly anticipating just won't get with the program. :waa:

8. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

Well, wish you'd come to southern MO and pick all these tomatoes in my garden as I can't just let them sit there and I have way plenty of them canned up already !!! We've had the best summer in years, plentiful rain which is highly unusual in July/August and really not that many scorchers...it has been a grand year. Chickens are getting tired of seeing me come with another bucket of rejects :) DEE

9. katydidagain

katydidagain Adventuress--Definition 2 Supporter

So Southern Maryland has the corner on tomatoes this year? I took Mom to buy some locally (DC area) for 99 cents a pound today and cringed while thinking of my green "don't want to ripen" orbs. Rain? Yes, yes, yes, yes! Nice summer? Very mild. Tomatoes? Not for me. Mutti, PM me directions; have car, will drive. :haha:

katy

10. tonto

tonto Well-Known Member

I'm in N. California, about an hour south of San Jose.

I have lots of green tomatoes of various kinds and sizes, and none of them
    are turning red.

I keep singing them dirty songs to see if they will blush and turn red,
    but it hasn't worked so far. :(

-tonto

11. i believe you have not enough sun and heat. here in so cal it has been between 90-100 almost every day since july and mine have ripened very well they are exposed to full sun every day with a sunshade on the west side of the rows ...i recently viewed an article about tomato plants, that as of now have no fruit this year,yet had optimal growing conditions. the explanation was suggested that things were so good there ws no need for the plant to set fruit to reproduce...the suggestion ws to pluck some of green leaves to force fruiting...i am also considering all of this be a result of so many forest fires and the ash in the atmospere...

12. danswife

danswife Well-Known Member

Hmmm, Think I'll pick me some leaves this weekend!

We did, finally, yesterday find 2 green tomatoes (out of 22 plants). They look like they crossed with acorn squash or something. My Tomatoes have ridges!! :haha:

13. vtfarma

vtfarma Well-Known Member

Dee - it sounds like a trip to the local food shelf is in order.

As for the rest of you - do you have any green tomato salsa recipes handy?
    Hundreds of green and tons of tomatillos nothing red!