Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ts-to-travelers-from-ebola-ravaged-countries/

According to Obamas speech and the head of the CDC, restricting travel is not the most effective way of dealing with ebola. A person supposedly is not sick enough to spread the disease while travellingnso keeping them from doing so "is not the best way to stop the spread of ebola which depriving people of their livelihoods. "

As is apparent to anyone, if the Liberian in the Dallas hospital had been stopped, there would not have been the chance to spread it in the first place so easily. It may not be the best way to control the disease but it certainly is one way to minimize disease spreading here. And it is the only one in which the US hasany input.

Maybe there is the will in west African to do what is needed to contain it there but it is not apparent that the people there are willing to accept it.

Reactions: terri9630

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Big Front Porch advocate
44,851 Posts
Those supplies may be like the help to Haiti after the earthquake. The government holds and inspects and appropriates for the haves, leaving very little for those it was meant for.

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
many countries today are very strict about foreign traffic coming and going within their borders. many are not. I am sad that we are not. but, It is not just because of ebola.

I've been to ellis island twice. fascinating place. I've seen the facilities and ways that border control was exercised in those years. I realize that foreign visiting was not as prevelant as today and many people arrived to stay when they traveled abroad. and I am compassionate for the disappointingt and sometimes seemingly inhumane ways that people were processed.

but, there is something to be said for the fact that although the reasoning and methods used were not always ones to look back on with pride, the motivation for processing people was sound. the idea was to protect the citizenship from the burdens of illnesses that could spread to the population already here. medically and economically it protected our nation. and, all during this time, we were not a nation closed to immigrants.

it makes me very sad, because I believe it is one of the major contributing factors to the decline in our nations priorities. it has contributed to the drawing away from each other in national pride. you no longer have to do anything much to become one of us. people, I believe, now feel free to come here and be who they are with no sense of patriotic pride. it's be who you already were, enjoy what we can do for you.

I realize this is a little skewed from the original post, but I think it's one of the underlying issues that has created an atmosphere that has allowed the media and the public by and large to just go along with the whole restricted travel isn't the plan announcements. we are conditioned because of changes that have been happening for decades in the way we do things and a general lack of interest in history that would allow more people to appreciate the perspective that such knowledge and understanding creates.

the diseases coming within our borders are the latest symptoms for this. my thoughts anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts