No Place to Hide

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by seedspreader, Jan 20, 2005.

1. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

On tv right now (ABC?) there is a primetime live report called NO PLACE TO HIDE. Check it out. The show started this way...
    "increasingly, if THEY want to find you, they can and there is no place to hide..."

Anyone else watching it? How does it relate to Homesteading?

2. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

I am trying to hubby is talking on the phone but it really is something to think about

3. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

I just checked my tv, and out here on the soggy west coast it doesn't come on until 10:00 pacific time, guess we just have to wait.

4. seedspreader

LOL, so much for the "live" portion huh?

5. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

This was listed for last week here...and since I don't get the channel...big whoop!

Let us know the info if you can. Thanks.

6. herefordman

herefordman Well-Known Member

Guess when they say "Live" they just mean you and them are alive at the time of taping !!!LOL!!!!

7. seedspreader

8. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I truly believe that in the next generation you will be unable to be anonymous.

9. Frontier_oaks

Frontier_oaks Well-Known Member

I think this generation will be unable to be anonymous

I dont like that at all

10. januaries

januaries Well-Known Member

I'm not sure... I think one could be *nearly* anonymous if one were willing to live a gypsy lifestyle. You certainly couldn't do it homesteading. You could just about do it by backpacking in other countries...except for passports.

I had a friend who was mugged in Bolivia. Passport stolen along with everything else. In less than 24 hours, he had a job bartending. He'd work all night and find a place to nap during the day. It was a common location for young backpackers, so the locals didn't pay much attention to him. Until he was ready to leave, he was pretty much anonymous.

It's not unusual for people to take an around-the-world trip, finding work in each location and moving on when they get bored. Work for cash, pay with cash, use public transportation, and the closest thing you have to a permanent address is a bed in a hostel. If you didn't need your passport after entering the country, and knew you wouldn't need it at border crossings, you could probably find a way to get a fake ID somehow (student ID or something) and use that for in-country things. Of course, if you ever wanted to leave, you'd need your passport again.

Still, if "They" are determined to find you, chances are they could. The network of travelers/backpackers is pretty extensive, and "They" could use this to their advantage. It would be very difficult, checking up on each lead--much more difficult than tracking you through credit cards or phone numbers or taxes. But I think it could be done. For all practical purposes and general daily things, though, you'd be anonymous.

11. to live free

to live free Well-Known Member

Why don't they look for the 13 million illegal aliens that crossed our border in 2004

12. Fonzie

Fonzie Well-Known Member

The scariest quote from the program came from the CEO of the information crunching company {I forget the name}. He said "People have the right to privacy,... not anonymity".

As he makes a fortune mining information from databases...

13. Cosmic

Cosmic Well-Known Member

Well a bunch of those 13 million illegals are working for the turkey building a house behind mine. All from Brazil, the same small town and imported on purpose by the contractor for his own benefit. The game of them crossing the border and then figuring out what to do, how to get a job, etc is becoming old school. They are being imported on demand and coming to a particular spot with a particular job waiting for them. Huge increase in the past couple years in this. The bad actors in this are the people who are using them as low cost undocumented workers in a completely planned manner. Who should be going to jail here???? :waa:

Shouldn't be hard to find them. Problem is not the illegals; it is the people employing them in a totally known manner. Knocking the hell out of the wage scales in many jobs.

It is worse in some regards than the program was saying. Been going on for some time. They are even monitoring from space via the spy sats. Those pics are being sold commercially. Many rural county governments presently using or probably will be using the services to monitor "illegal building or land use". They data mine the photos for changes only in an automated presignated sort and spit out the results for them to come check. I used to own some stock in one of the companies that is selling the software to do the data mining.

Sad like most things. They don't use the technology to protect the country. Will use it to come after you and me. All about money and how to generate more revenue for governments at all levels. Fines, fees and enforcement in so many areas is a growing, easy, painless way to tax. Slippery slope, once started so, so difficult to control or stop. The spin off effect on liberities is just not considered. Yup, there ain't no place to hide. You must hide in plain sight. :haha:

14. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

The state of West Virginia has been going through an addressing effort for a couple of years now. Supposedly when it's done, everyone in the state will have a physical address for "emergency" purposes. The problem is you have to live on a road that can be used to assign an address. The lady that's responsible for doing the addressing for the two county area has a Jeep with an GPS unit. She's supposed to get the coordinates of the front door of the house for each address

She told me that the Jeep can't reach some of the places where folks live. Lots of us simply don't live on a road. That means that even after the state runs through the $24,000,000 allocated, some of us still won't have physical addresses because we don't fit the preconceptions of folks that live in rows of houses or apartments on neat street layouts. They have no idea that, contrary to the policy of both the post office and FedEx, FedEx employees have indeed delivered to a post office box.

While I didn't choose this location just to be anonymous, it's already apparent I fell through the crack.

15. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

I didn't catch it but I generally avoid anything news related from All Bull Crap. The smarmy elitist Peter Jennings makes me want to throw things at the TV. I knew he seriously annoyed me when I found myself absentmindedly tying a noose with a shoestring while watching his news broadcast.

I was pretty impressed when I learned that FEMA had an extensive list of every grain silo in America. All the way down to the smaller corrugated bins and harvestores on farms not just large regional storage facilities. They also kept lists of every bank vault, grocery store, food warehouses, fuel depots and all buildings with architecture suitable for fallout protection. They had some amazing databases of strategic resources like that. They were needed for civil defense and nuclear planning during the cold war. They could feed an incoming soviet attack profile into their computer programs and tell exactly how many of these strategic assets would be destroyed or damaged. this was during the cold war years mind you. With the increase in computing power and the prevalence of massive databases some truly scary things could be done with those data sets if brought together and properly sifted through.

I was playing with some map software last night and was thoroughly impressed with the amount of info that could be displayed and merged together. easier than just pouring over 100 different types of maps. Still amazing despite some of the editing that was done post 9/11. Luckily some map and info junkies have such info squirreled away.

16. Oilpatch197

Oilpatch197 Well-Known Member

...then we know where bin ladin is, right?

17. seedspreader

I personally believe alot of his people know where he is, and a lot of Afghanies know too.

The difference here being, that a very large group of people are protecting him and there is a cultural/language/philosophical/religious barrier in between. I think that if those govt.'s in Afghanistan and Pakistan wanted to get him, they could.