Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found some of the tomatoes I'm trying to ripen in the basement nibbled. Nope, rodents don't get to live in the house no matter how cold. But 3 of the 4 I caught on glue traps were still alive. One had pulled a sock over and was trying to nest up. :( Sigh.... I do not a bit like drowning them, so it's back to snap traps. I've gotten pinched, and if they slip the racket is a shock to me, weird, I know, but better than this. Somebody will say use little boxtraps and set them loose, but there's enough rodents out there. My old cat moused very well in the house, but the two current ones are more chasers than catchers, and not so smart. They go seem to go back to where they saw or heard something when it will be long gone. Sue

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Wal Mart sells little plastic traps that you just place on the ground and then punch one end down to click them in. They work great. No need to touch the mouse at disposal time either.

·
Waste of bandwidth
10,618 Posts
I bought glue traps once. I thought there was no possible way that they would work. Unfortunately I was wrong.

I ended up with a mouse in a sad little La Brea tar pit on the counter.

For some reason a mashed-skull, stiff rodent just isn't as gross.

Along the same lines, our family has a cabin in Colorado. Someone left a plastic bear of honey on the counter. A mouse nibbled one of the feet off and was caught in its own oozing trap. My brother's wife, a city girl, found it. Cleaned our ears right proper.

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
Check your farm supply for the little blocks... I don't know what they are called, but when I had a mouse infestation, I called a pest control company. They came out with these tiny blocks that looks like tiny bales of compressed hay. They have something in them that dry out the mouse from the inside out so that the dead bodies don't leave a smell. They put out about a dozen of these things and within 2 days I never saw another mouse!

·
Premium Member
42,659 Posts
Found some of the tomatoes I'm trying to ripen in the basement nibbled. Nope, rodents don't get to live in the house no matter how cold. But 3 of the 4 I caught on glue traps were still alive. One had pulled a sock over and was trying to nest up. :( Sigh.... I do not a bit like drowning them, so it's back to snap traps. I've gotten pinched, and if they slip the racket is a shock to me, weird, I know, but better than this. Somebody will say use little boxtraps and set them loose, but there's enough rodents out there. My old cat moused very well in the house, but the two current ones are more chasers than catchers, and not so smart. They go seem to go back to where they saw or heard something when it will be long gone. Sue
I dont care much for the glue traps either, about half the time the lil buggers get one leg caught and then drag the trap away. I prefer the old snap traps but a bucket of water covered with paper works well too. (cut two slots crosswise in the middle of the cover) I have no qualms about letting them drown.

·
Banned
1,811 Posts
I prefer the snap traps, but sometimes the mouse is just too little to make the thing trip, in which case I've resorted to glue traps. Once you catch them on the glue trap, just put them in a plastic bag and tie tightly. They'll asphyxiate (however you spell that).

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
One of my nephews put out some of the glue traps a few years ago. As three year old children have a habit of getting into things they shouldn't his three year old daughter sat down on the trap (don't know how she accomplished this) and the trap was stuck to her naked little bottom. Almost pulled her skin off trying to get the trap detached from her hiney. Nephew said that would be the last glue trap in his house. The little girl is almost ten now and still gets teased about being a little rat. LOL

Sgg

·
Premium Member
5,367 Posts
I don't like the sticky glue traps either. I don't like finding a de-haired mouse trying to drag one away with one foot, or one time I found one with only one little mousey foot stuck to it. EWWW gross!

The big ones do catch the culprits, it just can't make them stay put.
We had something get on the kitchen cabinet one time and nibble the apples. I threw out the apples and set a big sticky trap before I left for the day.

When I got home that night, the first thing I noticed was Penny, my little Aussie terrier mix, didn't come to greet me. Usually, you could hear her tearing down the stairs and back up three or fours times by the time you got the front door open.

I went inside, set my stuff down and went to the kitchen calling her. No Penny. I called again and heard her little nails clicking on the floor as she slowly made her way to the kitchen. But it didn't sound right, more of a click-click-slop sound, instead of click-click-click.

And then there was Penny, looking completely miserable and guilty, with a big sticky glue trap stuck to her front paw. She suffered a bad haircut getting the sticky trap out, but I don't think she ever got on the cabinet again.

Halo

·
Premium Member
1,358 Posts
One of my nephews put out some of the glue traps a few years ago. As three year old children have a habit of getting into things they shouldn't his three year old daughter sat down on the trap (don't know how she accomplished this) and the trap was stuck to her naked little bottom. Almost pulled her skin off trying to get the trap detached from her hiney. Nephew said that would be the last glue trap in his house. The little girl is almost ten now and still gets teased about being a little rat. LOL

Sgg
For future referance, there is a product called "Un-du" it's sold in the craft section at Walmart, scrapbookers use it to remove stickers or photos from albums. it removes the sticky without harming the photos. It also works great for taking things off of sticky traps that you don't want stuck. My pomeranian stepped on one and un-du took it right off.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Snap-E trap by kness manufacturing. Best snap type trap made in my opinion. Can't pinch your fingers and mice very, very,very rarely trip one without getting caught.

http://www.kness.com

And yes glue traps are quite gruesome. More than once I've checked the trap and seen little mouse legs embedded in the glue with no mouse attached. Takes one hardcore mouse to tear a leg off to get out of a trap.

·
Wasza polska matka
6,912 Posts
Isnt the better mousetrap one of the eternal secrets of the universe?? I dont use poison, with a dog, a puppy and children, too much can go wrong. I never bought the glue traps for the reasons stated above.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
When I went into the pest control business, my very first customer insisted that I only use glue traps in his house. His reason was that he wanted to tack the successful ones on a tree and use them for target practice with his .22

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
These are the "better mouse traps", we have been waiting for ;)

The only way to go. Empties in a second.

http://www.victorpest.com/store/rodent-control/M130
I started with glue traps but the sight of the little micey writhing in the glue was too much for me. I got both standard traps like have been around for years and the one plowjockey mentions here. For some reason the mice are smarter than the standard trap because I didn't have much luck at all. The one mentioned by plowjockey IS the best. I also put posion in the cabinet drawers in the garage and on the supports in the garage and the first week I must of killed thousands of mice outside in the garage. Haven't had a problem since.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts