No Meat Shop

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Jun 20, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

After a couple days thought....I'm not going to pursue the meat shop deal. Teh main reason is time.

I have a full time job now raising the stuff I raise. If I had to spend all day in the shop, hubby would have to do my work, which is fine with him, but he cuts corners that I think shouldn't be cut. Those cut corners result in higher losses and inferior quality in what survives. I can't sell that in my store. One bad hog and there go the customers and I have had some really bad hogs that he raised. He feeds them straight on the crappy ground and the hogs taste like crap. I tired to tell him that it's because they are eating crap, but he doesn't believe me. The things smell like hog crap when they are cooking even...yuck.

If I did decide to do the meat thing, I would have to buy my meat wholesale and basically start a different career that is not farming. I don't mind spending time in a shop, but I'm not giving up farming. In order for the shop to be a success, I would have too.

If I wanted to have the shop and farm, I could hire a meat cutter, but then I have to worry constantly if he is keeping up the level of service I would want him too. One grumpy day on his part and there go my customers. I also don't know if I could pay a quality guy enough to do the job I would expect and still make a profit.

I'll just keep plugging away at my home-based meat deal and keep it at that. If this shop closes, I'll be ready to snap up the customers. If a new owner takes over, I'll be ready to snap up any disappointed customers. If the new owner is a raving success, I'll hit him up to sell my stuff! I can keep growing my own business without having to pay out all that capital, learn a new trade and give up what I really love...raising animals.

So....if anyone is looking to buy a meat shop, let me know and I'll give you the details! The asking price for the business (no real estate) is $50,000.

Jena

2. SRSLADE

SRSLADE Well-Known Member

You've made the right choice. You have a good thing going.As the wizard on tutor the turtle used to say, be what you is, not what you is not.

3. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

I think your decision is wise. It would be a step back in terms of your control over your product because it would probably be impossible to keep control of both the shop and the supply and not let one slip. Plus, there's a huge disparity between dealing with people as "the farmer chick" and as "the meat shop owner chick." There's just a different standard in retail, and you'll be dealing with people all day long that think meat grows on styrofoam tray trees. Most of them have no respect for the source of the meat (the farmer); as long as it's cheap, they don't care who toiled and didn't get paid enough to get it there.

Stick with what you love and do best.

4. And in the meanwhile your attitude toward your husband needs to be worked on.

5. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Oh, that's charming. Another dig from someone too embarassed by his or her own actions to put a name to the post.

6. Don Armstrong

Don Armstrong In Remembrance

It IS a valid point. There are real problems there which this forum may not be the proper place to discuss. Let alone vent. They may be his problems. They may be your problems. Whatever, they are problems for both of you, and you two ought to work them out between you - otherwise the marriage, even if it lasts forever, will not be what a marriage should be.

7. fin29

fin29 Well-Known Member

Anyone who can show me a document certifying that they never dogged on their old man or woman to ANYONE EVER can make that case. Until then, we should all focus on the spirit of the original post, not the voyeuristic minutiae that seems to be far more compelling for some.

8. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Hey, I get the same sort of corner-cutting from my husband. He's city raised, where the 'pet' dog was chained to a tree out back. He doesn't understand the needs of animals. I think that is all Jena was saying. It's just something we work around, those of us who have a spouse who was raised to regard animals differently. In my case, I take care of all the critters, and he does the building, mowing and such. It works out for us. I would cut corners on mowing(!) and on that, he's the perfectionist.
    Jena is simply adjusting her plans to make things workable, based on how she and her husband regard different aspects of their work. Seems logical to me. And just another aspect of homesteading, if you aren't going it solo.

Meg

9. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

For all those ragging on Jena because of her comments regarding her husbands way of doing things versus her own..... have you ever considered that she is speaking factually rather than derogatorialy (pretty sure I screwed up the spelling on that)? In other words, calling it the way it is......

Instead of addressing the question at hand some folks just have to stick their 2 cents in trying to show their moral superiority on something that isn't really germane to the thread. I hope that you are feeling better as a result of showing what a superior being you are. It must give you a warm and fuzzy glow as you put away your Dr. Phil wannabee kit.

Mike

10. Amy Jo

Amy Jo Well-Known Member

Hey Jena! How is your hand doing? Sounds like you're getting busy.

And everybody else here agrees 100% all the time with their spouses way of doing things... elsewise the marriage is doomed, huh? Well, my husband STILL hangs the toilet paper up wrong, and the paper towels, and I STILL am frequently frugal to the point of wasting money on things that are so "frugal" they aren't worth the little I DO spend on them... But we're blissfully in love and happy ever after... and I'm STILL going to switch the toilet paper around after he hangs up a new roll.

Unregistered was probably Jena's hubby just having a giggle on her. ;)

11. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

I see lots of posts on here about people who have spouses who don't agree with homesteading concepts and people post either to vent about it, or ask for advice on how to get their spouse to "see the light". They don't get bashed...but whatever.

The way my husband raises his animals is not a problem for my marriage, or even a problem to me. He's a big boy and can do what he wants, just as I am a big girl and can do what I want. As a big girl, I can make the decision that I don't want to sell the meat he raises.

For the record, he doesn't like the way I raise things either. He thinks it takes too much work and i make it harder than it has to be. That's ok too. We each do our own thing and everybody's happy.

As for the injury....it's getting there. It has still not healed over where the finger tip was torn off. I don't have good flexibility. The doc says the swelling will last 3-4 months, but the more I use it, the more flexibility I will retain. No heavy lifting, but do what I can, so I do.

Jena

12. pumpkinlady

pumpkinlady Well-Known Member

Jena, glad to hear you are improving everyday.

I do understand what you are saying about your spouse. My husband and I don't see and do things the same way either. I always looked at it as a ying/yang thing. We tend to balance each other out, most always for the better. Yes, he might make me mad at things he does but that doesn't change our feelings or our marriage. No problem in telling it like it is....Laurie :)