No heat from dryer?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Cygnet, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Cygnet

Cygnet Well-Known Member Supporter

My 20+ year old maytag drier isn't producing hot air. It's blowing cold air ... I assume the element burnt out.

What's the possibility of getting a new heating element and replacing it? It's a perfectly good drier, and I don't see any reason to replace it if I can fix it. Drying clothes outside isn't an option -- I don't get home until after dark.

Leva

2. Virg

Virg Active Member

Since you have to take it apart anyhoo, get someone with a voltmeter to ckeck the cotinuity of the element. They arn't exspensive, but it might be the overheat sensor.
    They want the model # for the replacement element. So far you can get anything you need from Maytag.

3. kmaproperties

kmaproperties Well-Known Member

First check your fuses. If you have a pull box with tube fuses, the one runs the elements, the other runs the drum motor. or you may have 2 breakers.
    if you have a double throw breaker check to see that you have 110-20 volts per leg.

if this is all ok then go to the heater and the internal fuse.

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Our dryer ran on 220 current that came out of a box with two 30 amp fuses. If one fuse blew the motor ran but it wouldn't heat?????

5. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie Well-Known Member

Is it a gas dryer? If so, the same thing happened to mine a few years ago and it was the ignitor. Here's a site that walked me through the installation(the part was $15) http://www.applianceaid.com/gas_dryer.html

Stacy

6. 2story

2story Well-Known Member

yes! replace the element, or limit safety, if it is a limit (things got too hot) find out WHY. Clean everything while your in there and replace the belt, while you are loving on it,you may as well. EB publishing has a great series of book. Cheap and easy_____________ repair. get the one on clothes dryers it is worth it!