Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm planning to breed my goats this year. A friendly neighbor has agreed to rent me her handsome proven buck for stud services. I've been watching my girls like a hawk for more than a month, but they never show signs of heat.

One friend and goat mentor says "You have a wether in with them, that will bring them into heat, and he'll try to mount them" while the other friend and goat mentor laughs and says that a wether won't do anything to bring the girls into heat.

Which is it? Any suggestions for my virginal girls?

·
Registered
2,315 Posts
My inclination would be to say that unless the wether is very 'bucky' peeing on himself and has the right pheromones, no a wether is not going to do anything to bring the girls into heat.

Do you have equatorial goats or Swiss? Some goats only cycle during the shorter days of the year and some cycle throughout the year.

I have heard that getting a buck rag can help determine heat in quiet cyclers. Just rub a rag all in a buck's nastiness and keep it in a bottle to maintain the potency. Open it up and see who reacts and start tracking.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
The buck rag will do more to induce heat than the wether. What your friend may have confused is that wethers can be somewhat helpful in bringing a buck into stronger rut if he is seen as competition. But really, if a wether does not have enough testosterone to show a behavioral response to either a doe in heat or a buck in rut, he's neutral and probably not going to effect any changes in hormones of either.

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
A wether will sometimes help you spot heats by riding does around.

You could tie a buck rag to his collar, lol. Get a few to change out. If there's no buck around does don't tend to be obvious all the time, unfortunately.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts