No grain?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by DragonFeathers, Oct 21, 2005.

1. DragonFeathers

DragonFeathers Active Member

Hi all. A question of you. A cousin of a friend of mine told my friend that her vet said not to give her pygmy goats (especially the fixed male) grain as it can cause crystals to form in the goat's urine. He also said that fixed males will only live about 3 years. :eek: What are your thoughts about this information? :confused:

2. computerchick

computerchick Keeper of the Zoo

I think without knowing your cousin's situation that it's a blanket statement. If she has adequate browse, a wether would not need grain. If this is a pen kept animal just on hay, small amounts of grain would suffice. Wether's can live long happy lives...just watch the protein/calcium amounts (most grain mixes are mostly alfalfa - so can cause u/c) and the key is variety!

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles/calculi.htm <-- here's a good jumping point for some research. I have numerous articles stored in my favorite, but most are biological university research papers - holler if you do want them...I think this info sums it up properly on the owner's level.

That being said, I'm sure you'll see a lot of differing opinions. I know free choice browse works great for my wethers, and we even won against a bunch of grain fed ones at the fainting goat show lol.

Good luck!

Andrea

3. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

I think that's good advice. Wethers will do fine on just browse, and hay if there isn't enough browse. Grain will make them fat and can lead to UC. Really, unless they're milking or pregnant, most goats don't need grain. Browse, hay, and alfalfa pellets are good.

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

I just sold a boer x doeling to a lady last weekend who had 2 lamancha wethers that died last winter of old age, one 11 and one 12!!