No global warming here!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jillis, Aug 12, 2006.

1. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

We are having some real Fall type weather here in northern VT! In the high 60s during the day and down to the high 40s, low 50s at night!

Next week we will be in the low seventies...

I sure hope my tomatoes ripen before the first frost...

2. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

Hmm...here too! got down to 38 last night and should be hopefully 70 today. pretty early but not unheard of i guess. was hoping for a bit more summer. even started a fire in the stove this morning to warm the creak out of my old bones!

3. BamaNana

BamaNana Well-Known Member Supporter

:Bawling: I'm so tired of the heat!

Still have a couple of months to go before it cools down here... :rolleyes:

4. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

you covering tomatos???

5. RenieB

RenieB Well-Known Member

Very Fall like weather here in Maine too. But I love the cool weather.

RenieB

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I'll be right there!!! Was just thinking today still have at least 2 more HOT months and last yr we were at 110 in september.

7. Red Devil TN

Red Devil TN Well-Known Member

Wow. That seems rather early. I'm waiting to see when it cools down around here.

8. seedspreader

It's ok though, because it's a dry heat... LOL.

What were you thinking moving to TX from CO? LOL.

9. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I moved to Texas from N E Ohio. I got tired of the SNOW. and Cold. I'll take the heat. any day. I only have A/C in the incubation room .Thats all. Plus thats where the Lovebirds are too. 5 pairs of them buggers

10. seedspreader

Nope, I LOVE the snow... heat... meh. I see so many problems with water down there that I am more than happy to have all that frozen water here.

It is getting desparate here though... I may actually have to water the garden if it doesn't rain in the next two days.

Forecast says storms on Monday... but if they miss me, I will have to water for the first time since planting.

11. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

Well now theres the irrigation Canal just 250 feet from my door, I can get ALL the water I need, If needed. for just about $15.00 A month out of it.

12. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I LOVE the cooler weather! If it could be in the high sixties, low seventies all the time, I would be soooo happy!

I also love snow. I don't like when it gets icy, though. Last winter we had a lot of ice...

Here in Northern VT it is not unheard of to have a frost in late August or early September. I will be watching the forecast in case I need to cover my maters with a bed sheet one of these nights!

I got them in late, as we had a deluge type Spring and early Summer. The first cherries are JUST turning red now...

13. grannygardner

grannygardner Well-Known Member

It's 56 degrees here this morning. Supposed to get into the mid 80s this afternoon. I'm tired of the high heat we've been having but dread the thought of paying for propane this winter.

14. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

38° right now. I don't think the tomatoes outside are going to ripen but the hoop house plants will be ok. I will probably have to pick the outdoor toms and set them on bread trays in a hoop. This is crazy.

15. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

I know dont remind me, I was in training then at Ft hood I thought triple didgits would never cease. Dry heat or not it was still pretty hard to be in.

16. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

Down in the fifties here at night, eighties and up during the day. Lovely weather. Garden spiders are spinning their fantastic webs already, don't usually see them until the end of August or later. Early winter anyone??

17. pcdreams

pcdreams Well-Known Member

Man I wish we were there.. Still crazy hot here (another week of 90+ expected :Bawling: ) and maybe nov before it cools down for the year.. SIGH

We vacationed up there last year end of august/start of september and it got down to 40 a couple nights. Was pretty miserable in our wet tent and 60+ sleeping bag but I wouldn't have traded a minute to be anywhere else :)

18. painterswife

painterswife Sock puppet reinstated Supporter

36 degree's on the porch this morning. Frost on the car and fields the last two mornings.

I like warm days and cool nights.

19. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Global warming effects can occur in several ways temperature change is the expected response simply due to the name, global warming. Those changes can occur via rising global temperatures, change precipitation, or it could affect human health. This definition is directly from the US EPA’s website at

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/impacts.html

Rising global temperatures are expected to raise sea level, and change precipitation and other local climate conditions. Changing regional climate could alter forests, crop yields, and water supplies. It could also affect human health, animals, and many types of ecosystems. Deserts may expand into existing rangelands, and features of some of our National Parks may be permanently altered.

Most of the United States is expected to warm, although sulfates may limit warming in some areas. Scientists currently are unable to determine which parts of the United States will become wetter or drier, but there is likely to be an overall trend toward increased precipitation and evaporation, more intense rainstorms, and drier soils.

Unfortunately, many of the potentially most important impacts depend upon whether rainfall increases or decreases, which can not be reliably projected for specific areas.

Yes, global warming has affected me personally. If you haven’t heard my homestead is situated in a valley and early in the season the portion of the land where I was intending upon placing crops was flooded, simply due to the lay of the land. I had no concerns and as a security measure I had intended upon placing a berm near the creek to prevent future flooding that could have affected the cabin. Well, Thursday afternoon and evening we had a storm pop up that the national weather service did not predict; six inches in an hour and a half, nothing I could have done would have helped us. The entire area was under water, by what I can tell was at least eight inches. My cabin was flooded; all the work I have done is now destroyed. The only good thing is that I had not completely finished refurbished the cabin or furnished it. Just like the Katrina photos, mud everywhere. If I had put in aboveground crops or had small livestock, such as rabbits or goats, they would have been washed away or killed in the rushing water. My neighbor had railroad ties stacked for future use, they were found several hundred feet downhill. My initial response was to walk away and that is probably the smart thing to do, my wife suggested that since I had discussed the need for a storage shed, anyway, why not just convert the cabin into the barn and next year haul out a trailer for residential use. We had discussed purchasing an RV for our vacations and as such, this may be the silver lining in all of this mess, since we are going to need a place to store the RV anyway.

I still have some time to think about this before the next mortgage check is due. Either way, global warming is affecting us all in some way or another.

20. jnap31

jnap31 garden guy

6 inches in an hour and a half that is a lot of rain. I hope you are able to put your future house in a place that is high and dry.Sorry to hear about your cabin