Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did get this coyote this morning from the deer stand @284 yards with a cheap Remington core lokt 150 grain bullet in a .270 Browning bolt action.

·
on furlough-downsized
1,516 Posts
Hey Agman! Is that 'yote worth anything as fur, or bounty, or dog food, or something; or were you just practicing varmit control?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
3ravens
My cattle herd is just across the hill and I prefer to keep the coyote population to the minimum.

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Nice fur on that critter. It ought to be worth something.

Just curious, how do you know it was exactly 284 yards away? Does a range finder give you that good of a pin-point accrucy? Surely you didn't take a measuring tape with you and measure it off on the ground!

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a high dollar range finder that I bought from my friend that owns a pawnshop. From my permanent stand in a tree I have taken measurements to various "landmarks" so that if I get a chance on a shot I have a good idea of the distance. The range finder says it is 294 yards to the post the coyote is hung on. I paced from the post to where the coyote fell in place when I shot her. It was ten paces which I took the liberty of converting into 30 feet or 10 yards which I subtracted from the range finder distance thus giving me 284 yards. : )

·
Registered
12,333 Posts
I never shoot anything from my main stands, unless it's going into the freezer. Each year, I see varmints and wild hogs and could put them (hogs) in the freezer.... but I don't want to pollute my hunting zone with anything deleterious to buck's sensibilities. Shoot a hog (that can be taken any time of the year), spend the rest of the day butchering, and pass up the chance at venison.

good shot though!

So, are you gonna have some "wolf brand chili"?

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The wolf chili doesn't sound appetizing. I caught the beaver last night that has been clogging the drain on my pond. It is available to the first person making the request. I think I will continue to hunt for venison. Thanks ; )

·
construction and Garden b
7,378 Posts
this is one case where the "you shot it, you eat it" rule does not apply! we are plagued with coyotes, never seen unless they are too far away (they learned that!) or with a house in the back ground! nice one agman ! they get way too bold, take calves as they are being born or the throats of cattle as they sleep.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts