No cud

Discussion in 'Goats' started by bluefish, Apr 13, 2006.

1. bluefish

bluefish Wait................what?

I think I need help. A couple of weeks ago, I posted about my skinny goats. Well since then, I've had a fecal done, no worm problem. I've been stuffing probiotics down their throats. Nothing. They're still skinny looking. Now they have plenty of energy, run around, still love the walks, etc. But they don't have fat ruminant bellies and they're not really growing. What I have noticed is these two don't chew their cud that I can see. My other goats looks normal and chews his cud. They are all on the same diet - forage and stemmy grass hay with a little alfalfa pellet/cob mix everyday. They get a loose mineral free choice. So why do two of them appear to have a problem and one is fine? And how do I fix this?

Kathryne

2. Kshobbit

Kshobbit Well-Known Member

I have been told that you can take part of the cud from your one cud chewing goat and inoculate the two non-cud goats. I must say I have never done this mayself but heard of others doing it sucessfully. Good luck

3. Teacupliz

Teacupliz Well-Known Member

Give her yogert..
    Give her all the hay she will eat the best you can get.
    Liz

4. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

maybe grain them. They should naturally regurgitate thier cud and rechew it.