no cream separator??

Discussion in 'Goats' started by happyladybug, Apr 3, 2006.

1. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

i'm not milking yet - but was wondering - when i do start milking - i would like butter and milk for the house use - but do i need a cream separator - or does that just speed thing up?? i am figuring i should be able to just let the milk set and it will separate on it's own.. but then it's cow's milk i know about and goat's milk is different??

can some one please help?

thank you!!

2. dougie

dougie Well-Known Member

I let my goat milk sit in the fridge a day or two and the cream has always came to the top for me.

3. cowgirlracer

cowgirlracer Well-Known Member

Wyoming & building a homestead in Kentucky
    I too have just had to set it in the frig and it separates on it's own.
    also, read somewhere that you can put it in an ice tea jar, and run the milk our the spout at the bottom and leave the cream in the jar. I haven't tried that yet, but it sounds really slick.

CGR

4. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

I use a sun tea jar. You pour the milk out of the spout at the bottom of the jar and the crean is left. Works great.
    Melanie

5. happyladybug

happyladybug Well-Known Member

thank you for the great idea!! i think i even have one of those in the basement from my mother in law!!
    i am going to dig it out and hope its like what you are talking about!!
    janis :clap:

6. pyrnad

pyrnad Well-Known Member

Let me know how it works for you.
    Melanie

7. Milk n' Honey

Milk n' Honey Well-Known Member

Wow, glad to read this!! I didn't know!! Thanks!!

8. Ranchermom

Ranchermom Sam at the Pecan Ranch

I couldnt figure out what y'all were talking about at first. I thought what is a sun tea jar does it have special holes? I had to go on ebay to look then I saw the spout hahaha...Ok got to try this one. I know this is an old thread but what a great idea, going to try it!

Sam

9. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

If the tea jar works -go for it! I HATE my separator and it cost a pretty penny. Actually, I've been considering, (GASP) a jersey cow for my cream. :)

Niki

10. Idahoe

Idahoe Menagerie More~on

I'm used to raw cow's milk and it's relatively easy separation, but goat's milk doesn't separate too well, at least to my eyes. I've had milkers for a week, so I'm sure time and experience will fix this one.

I did try something I read online, to bring the milk to scalding, rapidly cool, and let sit up to 48 hrs for separation. It's been 24, and I'm not seeing much.

The sun tea dispenser idea is fantastic. I'm definitely going to try that one.

11. nduetime

nduetime I am a Christian American Supporter

Tried scooping out the cream after a few days and tried (still using) the sun tea jar. Have to admit it, I really like my electric cream seperator. It is just a small one but it sure makes things easier for me. Made butter tonight and make it a lot more frequently having the seperator. I have an old antique one that I am going to sell on ebay I think. It still works and all the parts are good. I thought I would use it but I really like my lazy way better.

12. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Goat's milk is naturally homogenized. The fat is suspended in globules evenly throughout the milk. This is why there is not as much separation of cream and milk as in cow's milk. You get some of the cream, but not enough to really make it worth your while. Some people freeze each skimming of cream and defrost it when they have enough to make butter.

A cream separator is much more efficient---it is quicker and you get a lot more cream. Just remember to have the milk at room temp or the machine gets clogged with cold cream.