no breeding going on

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Meg Z, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I haven't had a litter since last July! :shrug:

My bucks went heat sterile last summer, and didn't come back. Okay, it happens. I borrowed a proven buck. No mating with either an experienced, proven doe, or a first-timer. I bought a new buck. Same thing. No breeding.

Any ideas? Suggestions on what to check the does for? I'm completely at a loss.

Anyone want a non-breeding French Angora for a fiber pet?

Meg

2. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

My best guess is that your does have developed fat around their reproductive organs and are not able to conceive. This often happens when does are not kept producing. You could try weighing them every week while cutting back their food and try them again after they have lost some weight. Sometimes they never come back though and will need to be replaced. Sorry, I hope they come around for you.

Good luck,

MikeL

3. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Maybe it is the weight. Are you watching, to make sure of the mating?

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I visited a fairly large meat breeder a few weeks ago and was concerned about one of my does not getting preg. He told me to put her on hay and water for 3 days at a time to get her weight down. He also visited with me the first of this week and notice her shedding hair and had a dull coat. He said during this shedding,molting period that they were not as fertile and some would not get pregnant during this time. She was bred about 2 weeks ago and I will wait till after time to kindle, then if she doesn't produce babies I am going to cut her feed and give her hay. If that doesn't work, she will be culled.

5. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I thought I replied to this already, but it's not here! :shrug:

At any rate, lack of conception is not the problem. Lack of mating is the problem. The male is not connecting with the female, even if I hold a doe in position. And I've tried four bucks on several does.

I'm just stumped.

Meg

6. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

Have you tried Barry White and some candle light? :p

J

7. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

are the does standing for them? or is the buck just a half bubble off,
    why is the french angora not breeding? is it steril? if you were closer i would love to have it

8. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Meg, maybe the doe just isn't receptive? I had the same problem and someone suggested checking the doe's vulva...look for moist and reddish to purplish. Seems to be working with mine!

Even though does rabbits are stimulated to ovulate by the act of mating, I have heard that there are a few days out of the month when they won't accept a buck...or if they do, the fertility isn't as good.

9. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

First...Thatch... :viking: One of those bucks was your Jack, remember?! You shoulda told me he needed some atmosphere!

As far as why the French Angora isn't breeding...they are all French Angoras, except for the new buck, which is a Satin Angora. A blue, no less, with the genes for copper! I wanted those colors! I've got lynx, fawn, black, and broken lynx in the French.

The bucks all seem to be trying to mate with a spot about five inches above the doe's tails. :shrug:

I did consider receptivity, and have placed the pairs together several days running, at weekly intervals, etc. (not left alone, just frequent or spaced attempts) I think I'm just gonna give up on rabbits, and keep these for fiber only. Dang it. I like to eat rabbit!

Meg

10. rabbitgal

rabbitgal Ex-homesteader

Um, kind of sounds like the does aren't raising their hindquarters to accept the buck? Do you check the vulvas?

11. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have checked vulvas, I have positioned does and held them. The guys jump on up high, and stay up high, and I don't have enough hands to hold the doe and the buck!