Homesteading Forum banner

41 - 60 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My local store has been running short on canned vegetables of the store brand, this causes a shortage of the name brands. Last week there was no store brand canned corn, or Del Monte. Only Del Monte sweet peas. Beans were limited to 2 cans, canned veggies to 4 cans. There was a new generic brand of veggies 2/$1. I turned my nose up on those.
Why ?

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Seems like there used to be a guy on youtube that would buy old MREs at garage sales and open them up and eat them on camera. I think he had some from WW1 and maybe some hard tack from the Civil War.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
Why I turn my nose up? I've had some corn that I had to pick pieces of cob, shucks and silk out of. Learned about those cheap store brands that way. Beans with stems and such. I don't need brand names but I don't want the inferior leftovers from processing.

Reactions: Redlands Okie

·
Premium Member
6,913 Posts
Shrek, I've carried a p38 on my key ring for over 30 years. Not only good for opening things, but a nice defense device also, if needed. Got a few extra p38's and some p51's hanging around too, in several places. Just handy to have.

Mon

·
Super Moderator
13,399 Posts
GF chides me for using my key ring P38 when we have used canned vegetables making soup and I open 3 cans with the lid opened to a hinge strip to keep the lid attached for folding into the can for recycle crushing after rinsing while she is still opening one can with her electric one.

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
i don't think hard tack ever goes bad. i still got a couple bags somewhere around here likely from back in the 60's. when i was growing up we always had that on hand. mom would use it for fish and brewes. that's still a popular dish in nfld and in some of the restaurants around the valley. i never did like it. i liked the hard tack alone dunked in tea. ~Georgia

·
Registered
4,483 Posts
I was a good boy and wore my mask in a county that requires it a few counties over
I walked into Lowe's without one on and thought I might get stared to death
Plenty of water at Dollar General today

·
Registered
575 Posts
No shortage here of anything. Back inj Apr. a few things. Now a lot of differnt companties stocking Walmart.
Interesting. Seems to back up the idea that it's the supply chain - likely the effect of that would differ my location.

Around here it's seemingly random shortages. At first it was the staples - TP, paper towels, beans, rice, etc. Now the only consistently out of stock item is lysol spray. Everything else seems to be completely random, but when it's out, it's OUT.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
So, I called customer service for the store chain and got a reply from the local store. He said that the store brand gets all of their veggies at one time early in the year and warehouses them. When the covid hit there was a run on canned veggies and the warehouses were pretty well emptied much earlier than normal. Now they are waiting on fresh crops to come in to process. In the meantime, this causes shortage of name brands in the stores. The main shortage is canned corn, green beans, and sweet peas. If you want potatoes, greens, blackeyed peas , beans, etc they are there, but the amts are limited. 4 veggies, 2 beans. Don't see shortage of tomatoes but some individual types are short on supply.

Dry beans and rice are limited to 1 per household, but sized up to 10 lbs in rice and 5 lbs in beans. The 1lb bags are scarace, but usually plenty of the larger bags. If you like Pace Picante Sauce you may be out of luck when you shop. Other brands are available though. Toilet paper is back as are paper towels,but lots of the cleaning supplies are short.Produce section is well stocked. Meat counters are stocked, but the store brand lunch meat is usually out or limited supply.

Didn't go down the water aisle.

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
water aisle in all stores i thought. next to the pop aisles here. i was out today looking for a pair of rubber boots. both pairs i had gave out about the same time. found a pair at marks for 80 dollars. got some washable blk masks that cover more of my face than the disposable ones.

plenty on the shelves today. butter 3 dollars when it has been 5 and 6 lately. sugar 127. haddock is down from last week so i bought quite a bit.. tp 10 dollars for the same stuff that was 20 dollars last week. ptowels same way. everyone is likely loaded down with it by this time. i got plenty in my preps but i still cleaned up today. that's the one thing i keep lots of.

plenty water on the shelves but there always is. i didn't buy any because i dont drink water although i do have a few bottles in my preps and 3 5 gal pails in the laundry room. only time water is shut off here is when they are repairing lines. ~Georgia

·
Registered
58 Posts
Why I turn my nose up? I've had some corn that I had to pick pieces of cob, shucks and silk out of. Learned about those cheap store brands that way. Beans with stems and such. I don't need brand names but I don't want the inferior leftovers from processing.
I found a worm in canned Del Monte corn. Needless to say, I don’t eat a lot of canned corn.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
Protein

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Our store has been short on Gatorade and Powerade for a couple of weeks. I checked a couple of other stores, Dollar General, Hyvee, local grocery, all empty shelves. A few weeks ago, it was tomato products. Still no Clorox or other brand wipes but tons of hand sanitizer.

·
Registered
311 Posts
And crazy brands of hand sanitizer.

As well as wierd toilet paper brands. We picked up some that have little green dots imprinted in it and the packaging is all in Spanish.

Odd times for sure.

·
Premium Member
6,577 Posts
Not something I would normally notice, so I don't know if it has been missing all along.

Someone online mentioned making cottage pie topped with tater tots instead of mashed potatoes. That sounded like fun to me, but there are no tater tots to be had.

I never buy tater tots but maybe once a year I buy the hashbrown patties. I love those things. But there aren't any of those, either.

If gatoraid isn't available, it is probably all going to the fire fighters and they are welcome to it with all my heartfelt blessings and wishes that they stay safe.

41 - 60 of 64 Posts