Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 64 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,399 Posts
I went with GF to WM today and although we garden and freeze most of what we use in winter and do some home canning, we also stock some store bought canned goods when they are on sale for our pantries.

Today while many shoppers lamented that this or that was out of stock in the canned goods, we noticed a lot of canned peas, beans, corn , chick peas and such marked down to 50 cents a can.

Some shoppers in the canned vegetable isle were saying those items were probably close to expiration or dented, but all the cans we looked at had 4th quarter 2023 /first quarter 2024 expiration dates and no dents, so we loaded up on some for our home pantries.

While putting mine away here, I think I figured out why the canned goods were marked down to 50 cents.

Last year WM Great Value store brand cans switched from longer expiration , can opener needed cans to a shorter expiration pull tab pop top can and the can opener needed cans don't stack well on top of pull top cans.

I guess folks are not learning how to use a can opener or P38 C rat opener or P51 tray rat can opener.

Since I keep one of my uncle's Vietnam era P38s on my key ring and three of the larger P51 tray rat openers my father used working field mess kitchen duty during his time in Korea, I am glad I scored my part of the 50 cent cans.

I remember when my uncle gave me a couple of the P38s when he came back from Vietnam, telling me that if not opening a can of pork and beans for lunch while hunting, I could keep it on my key ring to open a soda can for a spit cup, my father told me those can openers were also the biggest part of all his "secret family recipes".

When I looked at with a "huh" look ,he said his best secret recipes from his army days started with a can of tray rations opened with a folding P51 opener and seasoned the way my grandmother taught him and his cooking was good enough that the others in his unit jokingly said as long as he could cook their tray rats that good, he would never have to worry about being grenade fragged in the latrine because his hillbilly cooking style took them home for as long as mess call lasted.

We all laughed when my uncle said at least he had tray rats to open and sacks of flour and cornmeal to work with because all the P38s opened were nasty C rats that if lucky they had some strong coffee or maybe a G.I. beer to wash it down with. :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I tell hubby he could filter and use the dehumidifier water too. Running it through the coffee maker would kill any germs in it.

Early in the covid panic you couldn't find vinegar to clean the coffee maker. Last week there was a whole shelf of white vinegar at Meijer. I don't know how well vinegar is stocked now with everyone making pickles and salsa.
Treat your well water and have it tested. Just cost a few dollars to have your water tested by the state, etc.It will be just as good as the bottle water from the store and in most cases a lot better for you. Most bottle water just comes out of a tap from the city.

·
Premium Member
23,948 Posts
Treat your well water and have it tested. Just cost a few dollars to have your water tested by the state, etc.It will be just as good as the bottle water from the store and in most cases a lot better for you. Most bottle water just comes out of a tap from the city.
The well was tested shortly after it was drilled. It's good for drinking straight or making tea. But it gunks up coffee makers terribly even after going through the softener. This coffee maker is over 10 years old and has never needed to be descaled. If it takes going to 3 stores to get distilled water I will go to 3 stores. Drug stores carry distilled water and usually have a good supply.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
The well was tested shortly after it was drilled. It's good for drinking straight or making tea. But it gunks up coffee makers terribly even after going through the softener. This coffee maker is over 10 years old and has never needed to be descaled. If it takes going to 3 stores to get distilled water I will go to 3 stores. Drug stores carry distilled water and usually have a good supply.
How deep is your well? My well is 250 ft. deep. I had it dig deep enough till the water was clear and they pumped the water out for 7 days after drill and it stayed clear and only dropped down two ft from the top of the down pipe. went below 20 ft. of rock before hitting the good clear water. I would not use well water that was not clear.

·
Registered
5,097 Posts
A far more critical shortage is underwear. I went to Fleet Farm, Kohls, and Wally World. Got the last package at WW. Nobody else had any of any brand in stock.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I am not seeing sky high prices, but I have seen odd empty shelves. Peanut butter?? Really?
Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup was impossible to find for 2 months, anywhere in my area. Sudden run on cream of chicken? Weird.
Some shoppers in the canned vegetable isle were saying those items were probably close to expiration or dented, but all the cans we looked at had 4th quarter 2023 /first quarter 2024 expiration dates and no dents, so we loaded up on some for our home pantries.

<...>

Last year WM Great Value store brand cans switched from longer expiration , can opener needed cans to a shorter expiration pull tab pop top can and the can opener needed cans don't stack well on top of pull top cans.
Expiration is really for quality, not for safety. I once ate some WWII C-rats my dad had brought home from the war and saved (for some unknown reason) - in the 1980's. Hard to tell with those how the aging affected the quality, though. Probably like wine :)

USDA even says "If cans are in good condition (no dents, swelling, or rust) and have been stored in a cool, clean, dry place they are safe indefinitely." AskUSDA

Good point about the new pull-top cans, never thought about that!

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
My local store has been running short on canned vegetables of the store brand, this causes a shortage of the name brands. Last week there was no store brand canned corn, or Del Monte. Only Del Monte sweet peas. Beans were limited to 2 cans, canned veggies to 4 cans. There was a new generic brand of veggies 2/$1. I turned my nose up on those.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,889 Posts
If the SHTF, those veggies will digest just fine.

·
Premium Member
5,589 Posts
I just call corporate to ask why the shortage. It could be supply, distribution or local runs or anything else.

AS to the op, could be the water is being sent to areas like the wildfire areas or hurricane areas. Just a guess.

Reactions: mreynolds

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
I just call corporate to ask why the shortage. It could be supply, distribution or local runs or anything else.

AS to the op, could be the water is being sent to areas like the wildfire areas or hurricane areas. Just a guess.
That's my guess too. When there is a hurricane they have like hundreds of water trucks come in with bottled water.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Not food related but we are furniture shopping to replace a 15 year old sectional sofa. Every furniture store we went to warned us there is between a month to a three month lead time on actually having one delivered. Even going with the floor model basic with no change of fabric or whatever.

Also quite a wait time for washers/dryers and other appliances.

Mother in law just ordered new glasses. Two month wait time vs the old a week or two.

Things are breaking down it seems.

·
Premium Member
23,948 Posts
How deep is your well? My well is 250 ft. deep. I had it dig deep enough till the water was clear and they pumped the water out for 7 days after drill and it stayed clear and only dropped down two ft from the top of the down pipe. went below 20 ft. of rock before hitting the good clear water. I would not use well water that was not clear.
It's a good thing you don't live in this part of Ohio. The water is clear but full of dissolved minerals, just like every well drilled in this area. Doesn't matter how many feet of limestone you drill through, the ground water here is full of dissolved minerals.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
My wife just bought a refrigerator. Well, she told me to pay for it.
Anyway, I had to drive over an hour and a half to get it. Why? That model and size is currently on a backlog. This one came in and the customer canceled, so there I was.
This company has a a very large waiting list of buyers for any type freezer and many types of refrigerators.
A company has a partial shutdown so they have slow production. Another company can't get compressors, etc so they have half finished stock sitting in the warehouse.
Not going away anytime soon.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,889 Posts
Yes on furniture and appliances. My daughter in law remodeled a rental to become an Air B and B, and getting furniture in California was hit and miss. I have a rental here in Texas that we are fixing, and the appliances were two weeks late.

Reactions: Mish

·
newfieannie
9,195 Posts
my son is in construction and lumber etc is so hard to get . i've been waiting to find a small radio and a computer chair for a couple months. i got rid of all my big stuff when i downsized. i just wanted a little one to put on my table by my chair to listen to the music at night. found a radio this morning at The Source. 124.00 on sale. just the size i wanted.

staples have the chairs now. i'll go in on thursday(sale days at the superstore). and pick up one. need mini blinds or similar for the bathroom. none to be found for miles. i've tried them all. i stopped ordering online. if this keeps up i'll have to start again. ~Georgia

·
Registered
575 Posts
Things are breaking down it seems.
Glitches all over the supply chains, demand higher than capacity, it's everywhere, to varying degrees. If you do any ammo handloading, powder is hard to find and primers impossible.

One part of the chain weakens and attention is moved there, another part starts to fail.

Everything that's been going on this year is just showing us how fragile our system is, overall, and IMO just reinforces the choice to get some land and be more independent.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
I had lunch out with two people today and we talked about this topic a bit too. One is on a 3 month and counting wait list for a freezer, the other can't get her flooring replaced due to shortages of hardwood. Both were to Costco in the last week and said that some shelves seem to be emptier again of both paper and cleaning products. Also, the lineups to get into Costco are back. I have my eye on some furniture and the wait time for delivery is over three months now.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Campbell's Cream of Chicken soup was impossible to find for 2 months, anywhere in my area. Sudden run on cream of chicken? Weird.

Expiration is really for quality, not for safety. I once ate some WWII C-rats my dad had brought home from the war and saved (for some unknown reason) - in the 1980's. Hard to tell with those how the aging affected the quality, though. Probably like wine :)

USDA even says "If cans are in good condition (no dents, swelling, or rust) and have been stored in a cool, clean, dry place they are safe indefinitely." AskUSDA

Good point about the new pull-top cans, never thought about that!
No shortage here of anything. Back inj Apr. a few things. Now a lot of differnt companties stocking Walmart. Some can goods are old dated. When in Military in the Gulf countries and other countries we had a lot of can good when in the field. Cans goods were all from WW2 and were still good years later.

21 - 40 of 64 Posts