Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just poor management?
\ I went to Walmart and they had no water.
Why would they let that happen?

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Is it just poor management?
\ I went to Walmart and they had no water.
Why would they let that happen?
Maybe the guy driving the bottled water truck saw some folks not wearing masks in the parking lot, thought they were trying to kill him, and sped away in a fit of terror before he could make his delivery.

Why would who let that happen?
Walmart?
They really aren’t to blame for the bottled water delivery guy being a easily scared little sheep.
Someone else did that to him... but he let them.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
The last time I had bottled water was when working on a roof. That's been a while!

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
It's Sunday. The bottled water people don't work weekends. They'll send another load in a few hours.

Distilled water is hard to find too. We have to have distilled water, our well water gunks up the coffee maker.

·
Super Moderator
13,383 Posts
It's Sunday. The bottled water people don't work weekends. They'll send another load in a few hours.

Distilled water is hard to find too. We have to have distilled water, our well water gunks up the coffee maker.
You can always distill your water yourself. A guy I worked with told us of his brother who distilled well water for their coffee maker using an old coffee maker to run the water through for use in the maker they made their coffee in and periodically cleaned the old coffee maker with a couple runs of vinegar to clean the crud out of the tubing. Unlike distilling spirits with varied seperation temperatures, using a coffee maker to distill the water leaves most of the crud in the heating coil.

·
Premium Member
23,892 Posts
I tell hubby he could filter and use the dehumidifier water too. Running it through the coffee maker would kill any germs in it.

Early in the covid panic you couldn't find vinegar to clean the coffee maker. Last week there was a whole shelf of white vinegar at Meijer. I don't know how well vinegar is stocked now with everyone making pickles and salsa.

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
You can always distill your water yourself. A guy I worked with told us of his brother who distilled well water for their coffee maker using an old coffee maker to run the water through for use in the maker they made their coffee in and periodically cleaned the old coffee maker with a couple runs of vinegar to clean the crud out of the tubing. Unlike distilling spirits with varied seperation temperatures, using a coffee maker to distill the water leaves most of the crud in the heating coil.
That is the short answer for those who have concerns should their utilities ever go down and they do not have access to a pond or creek. We can have the best back up systems and all, but one can distill just about any kind of water and just about anywhere.

·
Registered
29 Posts
That is the short answer for those who have concerns should their utilities ever go down and they do not have access to a pond or creek. We can have the best back up systems and all, but one can distill just about any kind of water and just about anywhere.
Yea luckily we got our well drilled, but before that we were gathering water from a natural public spring. It is expensive though, than you have to pay for a pump and install yourself. Its a lot of work and can take time.

Utilities go down, what do you mean.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have a well and am on rural water but I know the idiots running the rural system and won't drink the water.
Some people here seem upset about my fear of the maskless people at walmart. Why ?

·
Premium Member
6,903 Posts
Walmart seems to be "short stocking", and has been for some time. Short stocking is keeping less volume on the shelves to allow a larger variety AND to have less cash just sitting on the shelves. Works best if you have VERY quick access to more product, when needed.

Mon

Reactions: Alice In TX/MO

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I once ruined a perfectly good coffee maker by running a bottle of Sake through it to warm it up. Worked great. Once.

A couple of vinegar runs and the thing was still puking up bits of carbonized rice wine. Maybe I should have been more persistent....

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,805 Posts
The delivery truck had a flat on Route 66.

Reactions: newfieannie

·
newfieannie
9,186 Posts
i was out earlier. the shelves are awful bare i must say. everything is there but just a few of each in front and nothing behind.

i've heard several times now there is plenty in the warehouse but they only bring out a certain amt. so people will think there is a shortage and they can keep the prices skyhigh. i couldn't say if that's true or not but i wouldn't put anything past them and i have seen a few things that would lead me to believe it. ~Georgia

·
38,805 Posts
I am not seeing sky high prices, but I have seen odd empty shelves. Peanut butter?? Really?

Reactions: no really

·
Premium Member
6,563 Posts
Walmart seems to have a lot of empty shelves. If could be that they are having troubles getting deliveries. They are begging for truck drivers and they are paying their drivers well, trying to make the job attractive. If you can't get enough truck drivers, you maybe can't get your bottled water delivered when you want it.

The shortage that I ran into last week was canned tomato sauce. Two stores with none, and one store with three cans (and then none because I took all three).

There are still odd shortages of pork and pork prices are up, when you can find it.

·
38,805 Posts
The canned fruit section of the store has shrunk. There are fewer options scrunched into a narrow space.

·
newfieannie
9,186 Posts
i found canned fruit this morning that i've never seen there before . mango slices . thought i'd try them. i should have mentioned also that it wasn't walmart. this was my regular grocery store. wm always has plenty on the shelves ~Georgia

1 - 20 of 58 Posts