Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
..................Been emailing back and forth with a lady realtor in NM about vacant land and I asked her to check on the NM requirements for a perc test before installing my own septic system . Whoa , she "NEVER" delt with anyone who wanted to install their OWN septic system , before . It's not Rocket Science , I can run a backhoe well enough to dig a hole for two , 500 gallon tanks , and dig the trenches for lateral lines . You need 1/4 inch per foot of "fall" for the lateral lines for proper flow . Payday is on Friday , and fecal material flows downhill so what else do I need to know , lol ? fordy:lookout:

·
Voice of Reason
53,256 Posts
While a license (normally issued by the county health department, not the state) is normally required, I know a lot of people in Arizona who used to do their own septic systems. They would have a licensed installer do the perc test and apply for the permits, then do the physical work themselves. I suspect you can do that in NM.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Lateral system is a thing of the past. Mostly out here its infiltrators.

Why not go with a composting toilet and a gray water system to water plants? Way cheaper.

·
Scotties rule!
1,617 Posts
I installed my own septic system. Contacted the health department to see what was required. Did the perc test, which they came out and watched for a bit. they told me how many feet of line I needed and suggested how to lay it out. Rented a backhoe and my brother came and dug the lines. Septic tank company came and set the tank. Health dept came out on Monday and inspected everything. And then I filled in 210 feet of line using a wheelbarrow and shovel!

Must have done something right. Just had it pumped for the first time a couple months ago. Didn't need to be done but after 20 years I thought it might be a good idea!

Kathie

·
Voice of Reason
53,256 Posts
By the way, I was looking at property in NM at one time and learned that a minimum if 1/2 acre is required for a septic system, which makes stand-alone 1/4 acre lots virtually worthless. I ran across that little detail while considering a small lots near Taos. I don't know if you're thinking of a small lot like that, but I thought I would mention it.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I asked her to check on the NM requirements for a perc test before installing my own septic system .
If you call it a septic system you invite state and county over site. Septic systems collect sewage. Sewage is industrial waste and, being hazardous, must be regulated by the state.

We have an underground system installed to collect nightsoil, a valuable commodity that, when applied to soil, makes vegetation bloom.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
..................Been emailing back and forth with a lady realtor in NM about vacant land and I asked her to check on the NM requirements for a perc test before installing my own septic system . Whoa , she "NEVER" delt with anyone who wanted to install their OWN septic system , before . It's not Rocket Science , I can run a backhoe well enough to dig a hole for two , 500 gallon tanks , and dig the trenches for lateral lines . You need 1/4 inch per foot of "fall" for the lateral lines for proper flow . Payday is on Friday , and fecal material flows downhill so what else do I need to know , lol ? fordy:lookout:
In Kansas, we need ours inspected by the proper agency. (My mind is blanking on which one right now! lol) But when I called and talked to the gal she said that yeah, people install their own all the time. It's pretty straight forward.
And yes, most people now use the Infiltrator chamber type system.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
It's not like the tank comes filled...or may be she thinks it does?!?!?!

·
Registered
676 Posts
I can't help you with NM, but with Texas, it is a little more detailed than that, but not much. For example, according to TCEQ there must be at least a foot of fall between the outflow on the second tank and the drainfield, min and max amounts of cover, etc... but still well within the DIY realm if you can dig a straight ditch and are willing to do a little research. I was licenced to do them at one time, but let it expire.

The only reason I didn't do my own on this land is that the contractor bidded it to within $500 of what it would have cost me to do it, since I would have had to rent a backhoe.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
By the way, I was looking at property in NM at one time and learned that a minimum if 1/2 acre is required for a septic system, which makes stand-alone 1/4 acre lots virtually worthless. I ran across that little detail while considering a small lots near Taos. I don't know if you're thinking of a small lot like that, but I thought I would mention it.

What he said. You also want to make sure you are getting enough land for a well. They changed the rules here last year.

edited to add: I think you can look at the NM state website and put "well requirements" in a search, or even "septic" in the search, and get the current rules.

Not sure where you are looking but some of the cities/counties have fairly strict rules nowadays. You can look on their website but I am pretty sure that down around Deming they changed the rules to require something like 2 acre lots in those subdivisions in order to get water/septic.

·
Premium Member
18,155 Posts
If NM is like many states..including Minnesota....the homeowner can install the septic system. However, the soil evaluation must be conducted by a State licensed professional and the system must be designed by a State licensed professional. Once these two steps are accomplished, the homeowner can install the system according to the approved design.

BTW, the laterals in the drainfield trenches must be level. In other words, no 1/4" per foot slope.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If NM is like many states..including Minnesota....the homeowner can install the septic system. However, the soil evaluation must be conducted by a State licensed professional and the system must be designed by a State licensed professional. Once these two steps are accomplished, the homeowner can install the system according to the approved design.

BTW, the laterals in the drainfield trenches must be level. In other words, no 1/4" per foot slope.
.............Well , I was thinking mainly of the PVC connecting the second tank too the trenches . Were I too actually install a system I would obviously need to study the state reg's for the particulars . , thanks , fordy

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What he said. You also want to make sure you are getting enough land for a well. They changed the rules here last year.

edited to add: I think you can look at the NM state website and put "well requirements" in a search, or even "septic" in the search, and get the current rules.

Not sure where you are looking but some of the cities/counties have fairly strict rules nowadays. You can look on their website but I am pretty sure that down around Deming they changed the rules to require something like 2 acre lots in those subdivisions in order to get water/septic.
.................East of Abbyququ and either north or south of I40 around Moriarty . I would love to find 3 to 5 acres between Chama and Antonito because of the sheer beauty of the topography , but they get SO much snow in that area that winters would most surely be long and cold . I also wouldn't mind a spot further west on either side of the Highway between Bloomfield and Durango . A large % of the old mining roads used for 4 wheeling are close to Hwy 550 going from Durango thru Silverton on up to Ouray then on to Montrose . These are the aspirations of a crazy old fart but you never know when something might pop up . , fordy

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
After having the problems with my system over the weekend, if I ever have to replace it, I will NO DOUBT do it myself. I am sure that some state agency will need a payoff for a permit or two, but now that I have seen "the bones" of the workings, I would never hire that job out.

I wonder what it would take to dig my own well? I would love to have an extra well out in the pasture. It could be shallow and maybe not the best tasting water, but for the cattle, they would be fine.

I do know that in my area, a sand point would be all but impossible to drive down.

Good luck with your system.

·
zone 5 - riverfrontage
6,905 Posts
I installed our septic system.

Here they require a tank and stone-bed leech field. Once that is in place then you can use a composting toilet if you wish, so long as you first have the leech field in place.

They also required that a licensed guy do the perc test, and he had to 'design' the leech field. The design is very simple.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
You should email the realtor and ask if there are any county restrictions on washing your own car in your drive way.
There is a good chance that she "NEVER" dealt with anyone who washed their own car either, LOL.
I know it may sound funny, but in this day in age, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Clove

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
I wonder what it would take to dig my own well? I would love to have an extra well out in the pasture. It could be shallow and maybe not the best tasting water, but for the cattle, they would be fine.

I do know that in my area, a sand point would be all but impossible to drive down.
http://www.deeprock.com
This is the digger that "Tim The tool man " would use......well no he would put a 327 chevy on it. But its for digging wells and it will actually work well for that. It drills thru rock with an optional bit and they have a dimond bit refacing paste thats handy if ya do a lot of hard rock drilling.

Of course if ya can hit water in 10 feet or so a shovel will work just dont forget to line it when your in over your head.

·
Registered
9,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You should email the realtor and ask if there are any county restrictions on washing your own car in your drive way.
There is a good chance that she "NEVER" dealt with anyone who washed their own car either, LOL.
I know it may sound funny, but in this day in age, it wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Clove
.............This realtor is very manipulative , I started out inquiring about a property that was in forclosure that was for sale for less than 20k(very small commission !), and , obviously had been assigned to another associate from what her reaction to my questions as I concluded . I asked her about a Perc test requirement before a permit would be issued for a septic system install , she "Didn't Know " ! I still haven't talked too the agent for the property that interested me initially .
............I'm working as a Gate Guard which is 24\7 which means I maybe here or in another location for the next year . My employer places a high value on people who work year round rather than squatting for 90 days then taking off for 6 months and returning for another 90 day squat . So , I maybe UNable to leave and go visually inspect a property for a long time as I'm going to stay put , with a JOB and worry about realestate , Later . My savings acct . will just get bigger the longer I stay employed. I feel like IF the Good Lord wants me to purchase another piece of Land he will reveal IT to me in Due course , but I get very impatient just sitting here , lol . , fordy

·
Registered
174 Posts
We did ours at our old place a few years ago. The main concerns are making sure the pumpout doesn't contaminate any run-off (which a person could build a mound instead) and that it was so far from any property lines and the house. That's it thats all!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts