Nissan Truck - help????

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by JV, Sep 6, 2004.

1. JV

JV Well-Known Member

I have a 1985 4 cylinder Nissan truck. Yesterday while pulling out of the driveway, the truck stalled like it ran out of gas. Because my gas gauge is broken, I added 1 gallon of gas. I tried restarting 5-6 times with no luck. I next tried starting fluid into the carburetor, while my girlfriend cranked the engine. It ran briefly, but stopped running each time. I tried 5 times with the same results. The last 2 times, while the engine was running, a loud squeal came from the engine area. It sounded very bad.
    This morning, I drained the gas tank and found 4+ gallons. Can anyone help me get this truck running and explain the squeal?? Thanks in advance.

2. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Plugged fuel filter, collapsed fuel line, plugged strainer in gas tank. Or possibly a bad fuel pump. Or if pump electric, then could be power isnt getting to it for some reason. Oh, also could be jet in carb is plugged, but doubt it.

Imagine squeal is belt slipping but dont know. Does this have power steering? Does it still have v-belts instead of modern flat ribbed belt? If vbelt, does it(they) look glazed (shiney where they contact pulleys)?

3. Thatch

Thatch Well-Known Member

John is right. It's not getting gas. Go to the cheapest solution first, the fuel filter. By design these will eventually clog and fail. They only cost a couple bucks to replace and it's always a good idea to replace them. Check that the electric fuel pump is working at all. (you should hear it cycle as you turn the key on) When you remove the fuel filter you should be able to try and start the car and see if you're getting any fuel as far as the filter.

Best of luck on finding the problem. Let us know what it ends up being.

Joe

4. HermitJohn

HermitJohn Well-Known Member

Yep always think simple first. If you have electric pump and you can turn key to position just before starter cranks and dont hear fuel pump, check fuses. Then pull fuel line off carb and see if fuel is expelled when you turn key. Again with electric pump just put key in position before starter engages. With mechanical pump, crank engine or rather have somebody crank engine while you have fuel line aimed into empty tin can. Dont want gas all over.