Nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by A.T. Hagan, Apr 18, 2017.

1. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Well-Known Member

I am fed up with trying to figure out ways to keep the pigs from spilling or muddying their water so I want to go over to nipple waterers fed from a 55gal plastic drum.

Who sells good adjustable gravity flow swine nipples?

I'm planning on putting them at three different heights - 12, 14, and 16 inches or is this too close together? My thinking is they'll move up to the higher nipples as they grow. They're in the forty pound range now.

Thanks.

2. Jhammett

Jhammett Well-Known Member

I have bought them at both Orschelins and Tractor supply here in my area. I only put 1 nipple on my drum one nipple will service 10 pigs. I put it close to the bottom so no wasted water and then raise the drum on a brick platform as the pigs get bigger

A.T. Hagan likes this.

3. cooper101

cooper101 Well-Known Member

I use about 1 nipple per 5-6 pigs. Just set the barrel on a couple cinder blocks (one high). Weaners can reach it; larger hogs will reach down. You can set it up higher later if you need to. Don't over think it. Also, don't bother with adjusting the nipples. Just take off the little plastic cap, drill a quarter inch hole through it and put it back together. On the highest setting, the adjustable ones do provide enough flow, but drilling a bigger hole will make it work much better.

4. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

They keep dripping.

5. cooper101

cooper101 Well-Known Member

Never had drips in years of using them. Our fair uses nipples in hundreds of pens with pressurized water and if they routinely leaked, the barn would be a mess. When you drill the hole in the barrel, use a smaller drill bit than you think you have to use. If you don't have to really work to get the nipple threads into the hole, the hole is too big and it will leak or get knocked out easily.

Jhammett likes this.
  6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Threads on ours are tapered. The drill bit is large than the small end of the taper, and smaller than the large end. I do not have any problems with leaks by the threads. They leak through the internal mechanism.

7. Jamie Sadler

Jamie Sadler Active Member

Amazon sells them in five packs for less than 20 bucks and they work wonderfully. If you go back to a regular waterer you could try nailing it to a perm structure in their pen. that is what we had to do before we built their waterer with the nipples.

8. A.T. Hagan

There doesn't seem to be anything that Amazon doesn't carry nowadays, or at least carry an ad for through a third party seller. I just went and looked and they have a mort of swine watering nipples. I'm about to order a pack.

I plan to put the drum outside the fence so they can't knock it about. Where the pipe goes through the cattle panel I'll screw a pair of short 2x4s to it (one on either side of the panel) to give some rigidity then pass the pipe through a hole in it just wide enough for it to slide through. Hopefully if they roughhouse with the nipple that will prevent it from breaking.

Until them I'm going to make a wood frame to hold the water pan to make it harder for them to tip it over.

9. Jhammett

Jhammett Well-Known Member

I want to move my barrel outside as well but do have concerns about having the water next to the fence. look at what they have done under the front of my barre already in 29 days 20170411_162151.jpg

10. bobp

bobp Well-Known Member

I use a steel pipe for my nipples, then a hose to the tank/barrel. Less issues.

gerold likes this.
  11. raezza

raezza New Member

12. A.T. Hagan

I'm having that problem already with their water pan.

When I have the new pen set up I plan to put in a 4'x4' square made out of treated 2x6s underneath where the nipple comes through and fill it full of egg gravel. If they root them out I'll use concrete pavers. I'm hoping this will both give plenty of area to soak up any spillage without turning into a wallow as well as giving them a hard surface to wear their hooves down with. Not of much importance for feeders, but if I decide to breed it would be handy.

The TSC site says one of my local stores have the nipple waterers in stock so I'm going to go pick up a couple.

13. KFhunter

KFhunter Well-Known Member

Looks like you could use an alternative wallow and shade to ease the pressure around the barrel.