nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by kate, Dec 20, 2004.

1. kate

kate Well-Known Member

o.k., i have one and it really squirts the water out, all over. now i read that it is controlled with that little plastic thingamajig in it. which do you use for a pressure system?? with the plastic insert with tiny hole, or take it out? i know it is somewhat of a dumb question, but i do not want to get the pipe wrench and take it all apart, only to find out it was hooked up right to begin with and i wont make it any better.

2. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

Kate-
    I actually used a nipple attachment for the garden hose that is designed for use with dogs for my pig Hester. It has a metal pin that protrudes and when she pushes it with her nose it triggers a trickle of water that she gulps up. She picked up on using it immediately.

3. VApigLover

VApigLover Well-Known Member

I've got one of those, with the little plastic insert in is for high pressure, with it removed is for low pressure gravity drain type system, this is for the Trojan cup waterer. Hope this helps!

4. Surveyorwill

Surveyorwill Active Member

I know I don’t get a chance to visit or post often but had a question on this one. Ok, I don’t think my pigs ever used the nipple waterer, and after a couple of days I went back to filling a bucket for them but left the nipple there, but I never really saw them use it to drink. Yea, they would nose up to it and get the water to come out but then they would just leave it. Do some pigs just never take to the nipple? Just for future reference, as our pig is in the freezer now.

5. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

Surveyorwill- I've only had the current nipple slurping sow, so I'm not sure about your question. I'm curious to know, myself. I do know that my gal Hester is used to coming up to me when I go out to her her stall so that she can get a scratch or treat or similar. When I installed my nipple waterer, I literally just stood by it and when she came up to me I triggered it with my hand and she immediately started slurping from it.

6. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

I made a nipple waterer using three of the metal nipples for pigs on a five gallon plastic pail which hangs in the entrance of the pig shed. I feed milk in it to piglets. It works really well except during the coldest weather - at night it will freeze up. I learned not to fill it in the late afternoon to avoid having milk freeze in it overnight. In the morning I pour in a gallon of hot tap water, swish and dump to clean out the little bit of ice on the inside of the nipples and then refill it with milk.

I experimented with three types of nipples including a piglet nipple. The piglets (started this at 40 lbs, now at 100 lbs) prefered the full size nipples. No difference between the cheapest nipples ($2 ish) and the expensive ones ($8 ish).

-Walter
    in Vermont