Nigie doe not cycling

Discussion in 'Goats' started by dbarjacres, Oct 30, 2006.

1. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

What would you guys/gals do? I have an 18 m.o. virgin Nigerian Dwarf doe. She was the smallest of quads and thus held over from breeding last year by her breeder. I purchased her 3 months ago and have never seen her cycle. Her breeder said there is no way possible that she got bred there (I do believe her on this as I've been to her farm) and I know it's impossible it happened here. Should I just give her a dose of Lute and see if she comes in? We did check her to verify she has a vagina, just to make sure the parts are all there from the outside at least (just inserted a clean, lubed finger). The vets around here are not goat vets, so doesn't even pay to ask them. Thanks, Jenny

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

Some does just dont show signs of heat. It doesnt mean they arent cycling, it just means they dont outwardly show signs. Try exposing her to a buck and see what he says about the matter. I let my bucks tell me who is and is not cycling. Some does are obvious, but some (especially my virgins) like to keep it a secret only her and the buck know. I have nigies and I hand breed. I bring the buck I want to breed on a leash into a pen of the does I want him bred to. (10x10) and he will tell me who he likes. Sometimes its 1 or 2 or more. If she is one I want bred right then, then I let him have her (repeatedly, usually 3 or 4 times) then if he doesnt try anyone else, then no one else is ready. Then I try in a few more days. I do this every other day until he shows little or no interest in them. Out of my 6 does, only 2 showed heat signs. All of them bred on the first try and delivered on day 145-150. I dont expose the buck to just one doe to tell if she is in heat, because if she is the only doe, he will like her no matter where she is in the cycle. Generally in a room of multiple does and one buck, you can tell who he likes best. GOOD LUCK

3. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have a doe here for stud service and after a complete cycle of waiting she didn't come in. The owner gave her a lute shot on Friday and still no signs of heat. Any ideas what the problem might be? She's going on two and a maiden doe. Is Lutalyse always supposed to bring them into heat?

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

My does and bucks share a fenceline, so she can visit anytime she likes. For the first 4 weeks that I "bought" her she stayed at her home farm and was walked into the buck pen every day and she had no interest. And now here she just has access to go visiting.