Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, Stanb999 was kind enough to come by and help me to identify the plants and trees in my new yard. One thing he found was that I have a small group of nightshade plants in amongst my grapevines. What can I use to kill them off permanently? I don't want them growing back. Ever. My plan is to have a garden area where it is totally safe for my grandchildren to pick and eat whatever they see that looks appetizing. Of course, they can only do that if I get rid of those pretty red berries growing in with my pretty red grapes.

Also, is it cold enough now to prune my trees and cut back my grapevines? I'd like to get the vines soaking and make wreath forms out of them as soon as I can.

Thank you.
Ninn

·
Banned
14,801 Posts
All you can do with the nightshade is keep pulling it. Then watch for new seedlings. The berries are treats for many birds and the seeds pass right through. Just when you think that you won't ever have any more, a bird will come along with other ideas.

Martin

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
There will be seed in the soil so any killing off will only be temporary unless you mulch so heavily that all growth is choked out.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
In the real world it is not totally safe to go about picking whatever looks appetizing. Maybe this is a good chance to teach that very lesson right in your garden.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts