Nightcrawlers?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Mar 8, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Do any of you enhance your lawn or clover grasses cut short to accomodate the gathering of large crawlers harvested at night for the bait fishing market?
    How well do you do with it?

2. busybee64

busybee64 Member

My suggestion is from my grandpas camp. He had a night crawler bed. Dig up a section of ground at least a foot deep, 5 to 6 feet long. get the soil nice and soft with maybe some crushed leaves, throw into it regularly, egg shells, (helps to break up the soil, coffee grounds, they love em and they break up the soil, any and all food scraps. You can even pour some corn meal every now and then. Then cover the food up with leaves. You want the dirt to be moist but not wet wet, not dry. Cool and moist. It wont take long the worms will come up to eat. And a special gadget granpa made keeps you from digging. Take two sticks at least a foot and a half long. Cut notches in one stick all the way down. Insert half of that stick into the worm bed, take the other stick and rub up and down the notched stick , creating a vibration. The vibration is what attracts the worms. They will come out of the bed to you. No digging. This really works. if you have ever noticed sometimes when cutting grass near ditches, the lawnmowers vibration makes the worms come out., try it as long as there is a good food source, of rotting food , and a cool place for them they wont stray too far. Another excellent thing to keep on the bed is rabbit droppings.

3. Jimmy Mack

Jimmy Mack Well-Known Member

interestig busybee64, thanks for sharing

here's another method:

After dusk, water the lawn well. then search for nightcrawlers with a flashlilght, quiet foot and light touch

The trick is trying the catch them before they squirm back into their hole. With some you'll get into a tug of war so be careful not to break the worm in half.

Catching night crawlers is a ton of fun!

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

I had a fellow tell me just yesterday to mix Dawn brand dish soap into some water and cover an area of ground where you know earthworms to be. He claimed that in a few minutes the worms would come to the surface.

He also aked me how to kill earthworms. He doesn't like all of the little piles of castings/dirt they leave behind on the surface. I'm not sure if I got him convinced to leave them alone or not, but I sure did try hard.