NightCrawlers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by tallpines, Mar 29, 2004.

1. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Here in the woods we have few worms----but my mother has tons of them.
    They cover her driveway on a rainy day.
    Can I pick them up and "Plant" them in my raised garden beds?

2. Paquebot2

Paquebot2 Guest

Yes indeed, you may "transplant" crawlers. If the soil is to their liking, and there is a food supply, they will stay. If you find that they are crawling on streets or driveways, it's because they did not like it where they were living. I established a colony in early 1964 and it has been interesting to watch their spread throughout the neighborhood. It took 30 years to reach the street which is about 100 feet from the garden. They had to travel through soil containing a lot of ash and coal clinkers from ages ago. In 40 years, they have extended only about 40 feet into the back neighbor's lawn which is a thin layer of black dirt over hard clay. In dry years, one can see exactly where they stop in that lawn with their portion being greener. But took only 20 years to reach the home where my son now lives and that is 3 blocks away. Their route was through what used to be backyard gardens. They'll slowly change the soil as they advance. They do it not by eating the soil but by converting organic matter to soil since they are strictly surface feeders.

I might also add that they are not native nor are there any native earthworms in much Wisconsin or all of Minnesota. They are entirely of European origin. They are now of major concern in Northern Minnesota as they are slowly changing the forest floor which in turn can no longer support many endangered plant species.

Martin

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I read an article about how they are changing areas that some prefer NOT be changed. Blaming the fishermen who bring them in and then release the leftovers.

So----how do I weigh the situation-------improving my garden or contaminating my woods?

4. justgojumpit

justgojumpit Well-Known Member

i would go for improving the garden...who knows, those woods of yours might become an extension to your garden in years to come...