Night Goggles/seeing at night

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by perennial, Oct 6, 2006.

1. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I now live in a very rural dark place and absolutely LOVE it. We have deer, coyotes, reports of bobcats and bears around us. While looking out
    from my porch around midnight lastnight my cat was wanting to come in, i had
    heard a huge hiss and catlike sound. So, i put my cat in and just was listening to nature and watching the fog, i turned my head and across the otherside of our property in the long grass was a large pair of eyes watching me.

I don't know if it was a kittycat we saw a few weeks ago, a bobcat or goodness knows what else. I figure from the hiss earlier, etc. that it was either that cat or a bobcat. I had pretty strong back leg with gold fur. The eyes were big that were shining back at me. I know it wasn't a deer because it wasn't that tall and i couldn't hear it's hoofs. Anyway, i stared at it and it stared at me for about 10 minutes and then it walked away.

Anyway, I am thinking about saving up for a pair of night vision something. I don't want to intrude on the wildlife (with a huge flashlight), but would love to see what's out there at night.

Any advice?

2. boonieman

boonieman Well-Known Member

Here's one option. I took this photo and it was dead dark. The dog was barking and I just snapped a shot hopin gto see something. I took it with a Sony DSC-717 camera that has the Nightshot feature. It's kinda like infrared. I did use software to lighten the picture up, but this deer was about 120 yards out. I think it has antlers.

[​IMG]

3. perennial

perennial Well-Known Member

I'll have to look at the booklet that came with my camera - thanks

4. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

boonieman

That's a creative alternative. I'll have to check my manual, also! I am thinking of getting a pair of night vision gaoggles also.

Rick

5. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

I use my Sony Handycam with Nightshot. I can walk through the woods at full dark with it and it's great for sneaking up on animals.

6. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

I have used the binocular ones mounted on the head-band, and they were really fun. But I found that you really do need a buddy with you, to keep you from walking off drop-offs and into trees, etc.

The assignment I was on at the time, had two of us and we were taking turns. 30 minutes at a turn, with one of us using the googles spotting and the other playing the seeing-eye-dog role.

It was fun.

7. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

You know,I never thought of the Sony nightshot option,thats a super idea,Thanks!

BooBoo

8. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

We have a pair of night vision goggles and they are AWESOME! It is almost as clear as daylight viewing except everything is shades of green! They are expensive but very cool! Through ours, we can see everything very clearly, animals, trees, etc. just, like I said, everything is a shade of green.

9. lwj2

lwj2 Well-Known Member

Might have been a cougar (puma), they're out here. VADGIF has been quietly re-establishing their range for quite some time.

Most likely it was a bobcat, however, cougars are pretty much diurnal critters.

Did you check the area for tracks?

10. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member