Night at the auction

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Michael W. Smith, Apr 6, 2006.

1. Michael W. Smith

Michael W. Smith Well-Known Member

I took 2 wethered dairy goats to the auction lastnight since it was their Easter Lamb & Goat sale. Goats and lambs EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!

I was happy with what I got for mine.

The larger wether sold for $96.00 and the smaller one for $76.00. $172.00 for 2 wethered goats - not bad! I just hope they are slaughtered humanely, quickly, and painlessly.

Next year I should have 7 wethers to take down.

The one older wether I have now is a huge brute (but a pet), but I bet I could have gotten $150.00 out of him.

Kids seemed to sell for $15.00 & up depending on the size. I saw several does go through which looked fairly good (not that I would buy one at an auction) for in the $30.00's.

What are goats selling for in your area?

2. kidsngarden

kidsngarden Well-Known Member

Here in the pacific Northwest at auction whethers go for around $50 or less depending. right now it may be more. I bought a La Mancha milking doe for $95. A doeling for $45. That's probably the last time I will buy at auction though. turns out doe was CAE positive, but I didn't find out till AFTER I bought her from the gal working in the barn. Oh well, she has been great and we are going to cross her with a boer for meat anyway. The doeling was dam raised and fiesty as ever. But it's buyer beware at auctions and I knew that.

Kidsngarden

3. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

Funny you should ask. I had a Boer doe kid triplets, two boys and a girl. I brought the day old doeling to the auction and said I wanted to get at least $45 for her or I was going to take her back (meaning bid on her myself) I didn't let her go into the pen or let the pen guy touch her, I held her up myself. The farmers all laughed at me and someone started the bid at $ .35. Well, they weren't laughing when she passed my $45 asking price and sold for $68. :nana:

Three month bucklings were going for around $50 more or less.

The price of my doeling went up with the telling as the day went on. Those old farmers are worse gossips then old women.

4. Kathy'sKID

Kathy'sKID Kelly in Nebraksa

Wether's here go for around $1/pound.

Don't know about does in general but we recently had to sell our 5 year old, she weighed 135 lbs and only sold for $71. Nubian/boer cross but I'm thinking her age kept the price down. I think their scale is off though....we thought she weighed at least 150.

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Just got home from the sale a few hours ago. I brought in five nubian bucklings, age five and half months, down to two months. All dam raised, shiny coats, and in excellent condition. Smallest brought $25, and the largest $65. Around here they sell by the 'head', and not by weight. Prices were better two weeks ago - and I thought with Easter being close, they would have gone up?

Boer and boer crosses definately bring more $$, although the weights are no different. I brought home a boer buck last June, from Texas - plan on using him on all the does I'm not keeping replacements out of.
    niki

6. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I found that to be true niki. If I have a real nice solid colored Boer and a smaller white with brown head Boer, the white one will bring more money even though the solid one is better. I think that people just expect the white ones to be better.

7. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

I think it is silly that people would go by color and not condition - I mean - how hard is it to tell if the goat is well-fleshed or not, it is right in front of them!? I could understand a papered breeding animal going for more, but these were all obviously being bought by meat buyers. This is the first time I've ever actually gone to the auction and watched the whole thing, and I learned a thing or two.....or three. I guess I'd actually have to butcher a nubian wether and a boer wether of the same age to determine if it really is worth nearly twice the $$.
    niki