Nigerian Question

Discussion in 'Goats' started by chma4, Feb 27, 2005.

1. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I hear all about repositioning kids for delivery and about the differrent presentations and concerns. My question is "Can you really just reach into a Nigerian dwarf like that?" They are so tiny. Any advice would be great, I have 2 does due this week, and Im getting a little nervous!

2. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

ok i can see no one likes to discuss this subject. i can understand that, i dont want to think about it. just worried i wont be able to help should a kid be stuck =+(

3. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

Yes, you can reach in them if needed. Your hand is not as big as the baby that is born. It may be tight, but it can be done when needed.

4. elly_may

elly_may Well-Known Member

That is of course providing your hands are on the petite side of things. I raise Pygmy's and when you watch the birthing process you can see how relaxed all the outer muscles are to allow you to be able to insert your hand.

Make sure nails are trimmed super short, no jewelry, and have lots of lubricant on hand along with OB gloves. You close your hand up like a tulip, squirt the lubricant in the palm, rub more lubricant on the outer hand . . . insert tips of fingers gently and slowly. Work with the does contractions and once inside you can roll the reserved lubricant into your palm. Of course when you try this, the doe is going to balk so it is easier if you have someone who knows the goat hold and talk to her to keep her calm.

I am getting nervous too . . . one doe due in 29 days and another in 75 (both look like they will give me twins).

Hopefully your kidding will go smoothly and healthy babies will be hitting the ground while you enjoy watching the process.