nigerian help

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Al. Countryboy, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

Planning to get at least 7 nigerians in a few weeks. Will be getting 2 bucks that are unrelated and at least 5 does. Two of the does are mother and daughter, but I don't think the other does are related. The older doe that is the mother to the doe kid may also be bred to another buck that is not related to either of the bucks. Do you feel that I would be able to use only these 7 nigerians in a breeding program without any outside genetics for a number of years? I have noticed that in most of the sites and registrations that there is very little linebreeding being done with nigerians. There are very few nigerians in our area.

I am a ADGA member and the goats are registered with ADGA. They are also reg. in I think two other organizations. How important do you think that it is for me to join these other organizations.
    I would also like to know if any of you know of any good sites that have good nigerian material or photos .

2. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I don't know what sites you've been on but linebreeding is the cornerstone of a good ND breeding program. You might want to check out some of the premier farms like Flat Rocks, Twin Creeks, Dills, and particularly Rosasharn. The successful, award and udder winning herds have carefully used foundation animals to linebreed on. That way you know the characteristics you want to breed for and they will continue to show up and improve. The occasional outcross is brought in, but once you find a few bloodlines that work well, stick with them.
    And yes, you could use your 7 goats just fine, if of course, they carry on good udder and conformation genetics. A good herd takes generations to build up and a lot of trial and error.
    I'd highly recommend your joining ADGA if you have 7 goats. If for nothing else, it will save you $ in registrations. I would also recommend signing up at Yahoo's ND forum where you can ask questions of nigie experts.

3. HappyFarmer

HappyFarmer Well-Known Member

4. Al. Countryboy

Al. Countryboy Well-Known Member

I have had nubians for 6 years and I am already a menber of ADGA and was wondering about the others. I am also putting your breeding info in my favorites to go over later. Thanks for your help.