Nigerian Dwarfs births

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jennifer122102, Jul 16, 2004.

1. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

Do Nigerian Dwarfs have harder births because of their size?
    A friend of mine raises pygmies and they have had some horrible births...

Jennifer

2. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Absolutely not. Nigerians are built like dairy goats, for easy kidding. Pygmies, on the other hand, are being bred to look more and more like little bricks, which makes for more and more birthing problems. I've had two people purchase Nigerians from me this year who were getting out of Pygmies primarily because of the birthing problems.

3. Jennifer122102

Jennifer122102 Active Member

Thanks Laura!
    I am seriously considering getting a few goats and am really leaning towards Nigerian Dwarfs. My husband tried to convince me that they would be problem kidders because of their size. I'm glad to hear he was wrong. :)
    I just think he is trying to scare me away from any goats. he seems to think I have to much going on now for goats. I think he's afraid he may get stuck milking!

Jennifer

4. Laura Workman

If you want family milkers, have you considered Minis? (Mini-Obers, Mini-Lamanchas, Mini-Alpines, etc.) Check out the MDGA website at http://www.geocities.com/miniaturedairygoats/ . I've milked Nigerians and standards, and just love my minis! There's a recent thread, something like "Calling all Mini-Lamancha breeders" that explains why. Best of luck with your new adventure!

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

We just recently read an article on Mini-dairy goats in the Farm Show mag. Spent the better part of a day yesterday drooling over those darling little goats with beautiful udders ;) I'm trying to decide if I want a Nubian or a LaMancha (love them both), then I stumbled upon the smaller versions :haha: NOW I'm really in a quandry. My husband is the one that pointed out the mini's, and he doesn't care which breed as long as it produces good milk and is managable.

How big do those little mini's actually get? How much on average do they produce? HOw much do they "eat"? Are they hardier (mini-Nubians) due to the cross breeding with the Nigerians? ;) give us details PLEASE :worship: Thanks, Reese

6. Jan in CO

Jan in CO Well-Known Member Supporter

I read the same article in Farm Show about the mini Nubians. Would be nice to have smaller goats that eat only half as much, but give 2/3 as much milk as a full sized goat, according to the article. I really don't know much about them, other than what people on the forums say who raise them. Jan in Co

7. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Jan, my concern is that I may have to have 2 mini's to 1 full size for production and is that really worth the extra care/costs.

I was reading yesterday that on average some were getting about 1-3 quarts of milk, where as a full sized doe seems to give 4+ quarts a day. I would like 6-8 quarts a day.

I never really saw anything on food costs and to buy a doe the low was like a full sized about $75-150 but more than not I found them more over $200 to $350 on average.

There was no mention that I saw on ease of birthings (2nd' generation on) on average, and only a couple of sizes, but not sure if it's an average. Also do these does go in season more often than full sized, would I have to stagger breeding so I have milk most of the year.

I did find a place that mentioned that the milk is much better, richer and the higher butter fat content prevents the forging grasses to affect flavor.

SORRY FOR THE HiJACK of your thread. Thanks for any responses, Reese

8. Laura Workman

I've got some mini-mancha pictures on my website. I just love these little girls. I have two first fresheners. They're slightly bigger than Nigerians - I estimate they weight around 80 to 90 pounds. One is giving about five pounds a day, the other is giving about seven. The milk is rich and sweet. They are getting free choice alfalfa pellets, good grass hay, goat minerals, and about 1/2 pound of dairy goat grain a day, and they are quite sleek and shiny.

Naturally, since the breeds are still in development, there will be a lot of variation in size, breeding season, lactation length, production, and many other factors. But so far, I couldn't be more pleased with them.

9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

:haha: OMG Laura, I didn't put 2 and 2 together...your's was the BEST site I found on the mini's the other day. It's the site I kept going back to look at and show my husband. You have some very pretty goats, ;) I want your Kismet :) Reese