Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I've gotten interested in the Nigerian Dwarf breed of goats, for various reasons. In researching through several websites, and looking at lots of pictures, I am seeing some lovely animals. Some have the long-legged look I've come to associate with dairy animals, and some have very short, knobby-looking legs.

Is leg length a matter of breeder preference, or is there a point where legs too short become a disqualifier or a detriment to the breed?

Myself, I prefer the longer-legged animals, as they present an overall look that is more clean-cut and dairy-ish.

Am I on the right track here?

Your insights appreciated. Thanks!

NeHi

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Although there is nothing in the (AGS) scorecard about leg length (though going overheight is a disqualification) and I've seen many of the shorter legged NDs win in the ring, the breed standard states nigerians should represent a balanced, proportioned miniature of the standard size dairy breeds. The alpine is generally the breed chosen to represent the ND look. This is what I as a breeder am trying to breed for - I prefer some legginess to my nigies. But both types are acceptable.

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
I agree with moonspinner. Make sure you are looking at goats that are posed and groomed similarly, and in similar life stages (pregnant vs. open vs. senior in milk vs. senior dry vs. junior vs. baby vs. buck in rut, etc.). Also look at the angle of the photographer in relation to the goat. I can take some horrendous pictures of my girls that make them look stubby-legged and fluffy - just stand too close and too far above them and wait until winter! lol But clip them for show, pose them nicely square, and stand at the right distance and angle, and voila, gorgeous, balanced goats. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts