Nigerian Dwarf Expert in the house?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by kanpope, Jun 21, 2006.

1. kanpope

kanpope Livin' the Dream

I have a few questions specific to NDGs and none of the books that I have address breed specific issues and all speak generally of full size goats. I would like to breed two of my goaties but have a few questions...

1. What is optimum first time breeding age for a doe? I have a 7 month old doeling that I would like to breed with my buckling when he matures. Which leads to my next question...

2. At what point do I need to separate my doe and her buckling? He is 15 days old and still itty bitty.

3. When will he reach sexual maturity and I can breed him?

4. When I do separate doe and buckling, is it safe to put him in with my buck?

5. In regards to linebreeding, are there any issues specific to NDGs that I should be aware? I am planning on breeding a doe and a buck with the same sire but different dams.

6. What does it look like when the successful "do it"? :rolleyes: I had two of my does (at different times) in with my buck because they were showing signs of estrus. One may have been successful but I wasn't sure. The other doe just seemed to tease him and then press her rear end against the wall. Any thoughts?

Thank you so much for your insight! I really appreciate it!

Love,
    Nicole

2. copperkid3

copperkid3 Well-Known Member

Nicole:
    Not going to "claim" that we are experts in goat breeding; NDs or others, but we have been doing some for a few years now and will comment on what we have learned....hopefully others will also add as well and you can pick out what works for you.

1. We try to have at LEAST a year on the doelings before even thinking of breeding them; occasionally "accidents" have happened earlier, but for the well-being of both the doe and her resulting offspring we'd suggest for NDs to have about 14-16 months for 1st breeding.

2. Keep an eye on the buckling...when he starts getting "frisky" it's definitely time to separate him from his mom. No later than 3 months as he should be weaned and can breed and produce offspring by then.

3. See last portion of #2 .....however he will be more "successful" as he gets closer to a year in age and gets bigger in size.

4. Answered in #2; however, unsure of what your buck is.....another ND? or a Saanan? Might make a difference, but probably not......if they are in close proximity to each other already, they are part of the "herd" and should get along.

5. As with any other linebreeding; it is definitely worth considering what you are seeking in the final product......better milk production, udder attachment on the does, color, etc..... just remember that the strong points may be
    strengthed, but the weak areas will be magnified as well.

6. Usually a sure sign of "success" will be when the doe "hunches up" after the buck has had his way. Give it 5 and 1/2 months later to be sure!!!

3. chma4

chma4 Wolverton Family Farm Supporter

I breed my does at 7 months as long as they are growing properly. I have never had ANY problems with first time fresheners, but it may be best to ask the breeder where you got the does what he does with his animals. As for bucklings, I find that at 8weeks, bucklings begin to get the inclination to mount any thing that crosses their path. I have no trouble putting them in with my buck at that age, but I do have a fairly well-mannered buck. I would not count on a buckling be able to service your girls until he is 6 months or so. It can happen sooner, but I wouldnt bet the farm before then. My ND buck serviced my whole herd of ND does as well as all of my alpine does before reaching 7 months old. I do not line breed. I dont like the idea, but if I had to, i think I would breed grand sire to doe at the closest. Thats just my preference. As for a successful breeding, it is quick, I judge the likely hood of a successfull breeding on the intent the buck has for the doe and how upset the doe really is about it. You will also notice semen dripping from the doe quite often after a successfull mating
    GOOD LUCK

4. dbarjacres

dbarjacres Well-Known Member Supporter

We're just getting into the Nigerians (and mini manchas) the last 9 months after 2 years of fainting goats. What I've found is most breeders breed their ND does to kid by 15-16 months for sure if the doeling is nice and growthy (I have one due tomorrow that her breeder bred so she'll kid at 14 months and she's a nice sized girl, not much smaller than my 3 y.o. does, but then they let another doeling a month younger wait till this upcomming fall). I'd definately have those bucklings out by 8 weeks of age. One breeder I talked to from a very big, well known farm, had one of her (now 10 y.o. senior bucks) breed an adult doe at 5 weeks of age! You have to know your buck and how he will react to the little guy. My senior herdsire is rather dominant and I am keeping back one of my bucklings to grow up with the new little guy I purchased so he doesn't get pounded by the older buck. My bucks seem to thrust hard and throw their heads back when they actually connect and ejaculate. Goat breeding is amusing to say the least - they make the wierdest noises and gestures!!

5. dezeeuwgoats

dezeeuwgoats Well-Known Member

Another 'non-expert' opinion.

I breed my does to kid as yearlings - I've never had one have any problems delivering. I have both nubians and nigerians. If a doe is unusually small - I'll wait.

I try and wean at eight weeks, no later than twelve, bucklings that is. Seperate them at that time. You'll be able to see sexual behavior by then.

Oftentimes with a successful breeding the doe will kind of hunch up her back a little, and the bucks do an exaggerated thrust at the end. The only doe I've had not take - was one who was a hermaphrodite/or incomplete.

You'll find lots of opinions on linebreeding. It's the fastest way to find out if that buck your linebreeding on is any good, what his strengths and weaknesses are genetically. HOWEVER, it is also the fastest way to ruin your herd, if things go wrong. You have to be willing to cull mistakes. Any specifics? I have discovered that retained testicles seem to be linked with some heavy milking lines - and have discussed this with various breeders who say that research supports this as well.

Line breeding will bring out both faults and strengths.

niki

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I have a Nigerian doe, that I bought in April, just kidded last week - bred by a 2 1/2 month old buck. So, a successful breeder at 10 weeks.

7. Day-By-Day-Farm

Day-By-Day-Farm ~ MCH Potential~

everyone really anwsered your question but look at the kids when they are born, sometimes they will have 2 teats on each side or something like that if you are line breeding close.

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I have bred my NDs at 7/8 months (only the ones who are a good size!) with good results. No problems. Most NDs can be safely bred at nine, although the tinier, slow to mature ones definitely should wait. When you asked about how you can tell is a breeding is successful, that's why I prefer "hand" breeding. You can make sure the doe doesn't wiggle around or leave before the deed is done, that the buck ejaculates fully and in the right place. Generally a good indication of a solid breeding is when the buck rears back at the end and the doe will scrunch up.

9. Sondra Peterson

Sondra Peterson Well-Known Member

I am one of those that separates at 8wks old as don't want accidents. I also wait till does are 1 yr old.