Nigels going to get Wethered on Mon.

Discussion in 'Goats' started by BrahmaMama, Nov 24, 2005.

1. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

Is there anything I need to know that the vet won't tell me? He's 8 months old allready and I'm a little worried... (you know - it's his manhood and all!) ;)

2. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

The BBQ grill need to be big enough to roast him for the next holiday..

3. BrahmaMama

Noooo!!!!! Silly, He's not intended for food, he's my best friend.

When the SHTF (if you follow freedom & self reliance threads)...then I'll eat goat. But not UNTIL then!!!! :grump:

4. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

He will be fine! Millions of animals are castrated every year & your vet has probably parted hundreds of critters from their "manhood". It's the most common animal operation.

Don't know how much livestock experience your vet has. You should not use general anesthesia on goats. Some local is fine but not always necessary.
    I have had animals surgically castrated, Burdizzoed and banded. The surgical (cutting off testicles) seems to be the least painful. Banding causes about a half hour of discomfort expressed by getting up and lying down repeatedly. Burdizzo (crushing the spermatic cord) caused a day of pain expressed by grinding teeth and head pressing.

He will not even notice what's missing. Animals do not have the psychological burdens that humans do.

5. BrahmaMama

Thank you! The vet is very well known around here and I trust him. They are going to put him under tho' because he's not a "little" guy any more.
    I'm sure he'll be fine, He's just developed so much personality lately that he dosen't SEEM like just another barnyard animal. He's very special to me now. Thanks again :)

6. dosthouhavemilk

dosthouhavemilk Well-Known Member Supporter

We had a ten and a half month old nicknamed "Hung Tu Lo" castrated a month or so ago. Did it the same way we have the week olds cut. I gave him banamine when I got home for the pain. He was back to his ornery self the next day. I don't like doing them older than thre months but he was being held for breeding for another guy who never came and bought him.
    I would be wary of them "putting him under" for something like this. Goats really don't handle anesthesia well at all.

7. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Oh my word, you didn't really name him that, did you? Are you pulling our legs? Too funny!

8. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

I'd be very wary of general anesthesia for any ruminant. It's so risky it's rarely done. Even c-sections are usually done with an regional or epidural and restraint.

9. BrahmaMama

:D LOL :D , I just can't think of a snappy come back for that one... :D

10. BrahmaMama

Sorry Anna I guess we were typing at the same time!

I'll talk to the vet and ask him again just how exactly he's going to do the procedure :eek: !!!

11. dosthouhavemilk

My father really nicknamed the lad that. His official name is Archibold but I call him Archie...
    After the surgery he "Wasn't Hung Quite So Lo" :p
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Taken when he was 2 months old
    [​IMG]
    Out with the "Big boys" when he was not quite 6 months old. The large fellow next to him is his father, William (Boer/Saanen). His dam was a pygmy doe. We lost her when he was a month old to a missed uterine infection. I am still kicking myself over that one. We had to pull Archie. He was a singleton and backwards presentation to boot.
    Archie was such a male! At only three months old he was chasing poor Rudy around the heifer pen and chasing the four month old heifers as well. He would snort and sing and grunt at his father! William would get so annoyed he would climb out of the pen to get away from him. Archie would see me leading William back and he would stick his head through the panels and start snorting. I wasn't too concerned about him being in a pen with four mature bucks since he drove them all crazy.
    Here's hoping we had him cut before he was able to breed anything. He is related one way or another to all but seven of our 22 breeding does.
    He would have made a hard working sire, but the guy never followed through.

12. BrahmaMama

Nice Pic's, thanks for sharing. If I could figure out how post my pic's, I have a really nice one of Nigel! :shrug: I'm working on it!

13. Goat Freak

Goat Freak Slave To Many Animals

Great pictures! Thank you SO much for sharing, you are right, he was Hung Tu Lo,lol.

14. dosthouhavemilk