Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am one of them, but I am jaded and so I will take myself out of the equation.

But here is my list of nice folks in the past hour!

1:
The tree service guy.
I called to ask if he had anymore logs he would like to dump at our place and he does and will start dumping whole trees cut to length for the woodstove.
FREE!
When I asked about the removal of the chestnut tree that gives lovely shade but covers the yard in chestnuts.. he said he would do it for free as well.
I will give him a rabbit ready for the pot because it makes him happy and a dozen eggs too.

2:: the guy at the feed store who is going to loan me his top of the line incubator because... well, just because.
It has forced air, a turner, humidity controls and steady heat and a hatching tray!!
Just because. I have offered him fresh chicken for the pot or anything else his heart desires, but he can't think of anything he needs right now.
Which feed store is going to get a weekly delivery of fresh biscuits or scones or cookies or apple bread? Hmm?

Despite my rantings about how the worlsd is in the sinking handbasket...
there are great foks out there.
I need to step up my sweetness and do some super nice stuff for folks too!

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
:) I think there are more good folks than bad. The bad ones just draw the most attention.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Well, I really haven't dealt with anyone but Hubby in the last hour. Of course, he's nice. He was nice enough to take my ornament for the exchange and stand in line at the post office to mail it for me.

I did talk to my youngest sister to thank her for the birthday gift she sent to me yesterday via her grandson. She gave me a rosemary plant shaped like a Christmas tree all potted up Christmasy (is that a word?). Yummy....

One day this week the substitute mail carrier brought me a piece of mail that I had to sign for and she got out of her vehicle, came up on the porch to hand me the mail. Then she made small talk for a couple of minutes before going on her way. That was nice as I don't see a lot of people during the day most days. Also, the regular carrier drives up in the drive and blows his horn.

There is still a lot of niceness in this old world. We just let some of the ruder people overshadow it. :)

SGG

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
:) I think there are more good folks than bad. The bad ones just draw the most attention.
Couldn't agree more, Sancraft :)

The family who sold their business to a Swedish firm back in September-ish, and then decided, as a family, to give each employee (230 of them) a cut of the sale. The employees each got a portion of 6.6MILLION dollars. (determined by how long they'd worked for the company) AND the contract of sale says that most positions will continue working....only a few management positions went away. How's THAT for nice ?

Around here, (in town) we've got a phantom snowplower. Every time we get a heavy-ish snow fall, some lovely person goes out on his 4wheeler with a plow and plows all the sidewalks. It's about a 6 block area that gets plowed by him (I've got an idea it's a dad who tells his 14year old to go have fun on the 4wheeler) (our town is real big on giving tickets to those who don't shovel sidewalks)

Our feed mill has a price break at 1/2 ton. We've been buying 200 to 400lbs every few weeks. A few weeks ago Artificer asked the mill owner what the price break was if we got 1/2 ton at a time...He smiled and said he's been giving it to us at the 1/2 ton price for the last year. He'd decided when the price of wheat and corn started going sky high that he wasn't going to charge a bagging or small amount fee anymore. (Although he did admit he's got 2 customers that he continued at the normal rate because "there are some folk who need an extra "PITA" charge...ya know?" ;)

So many stories to tell about random acts of just pure GOOD people. or rather, normal people who are just GOOD folks.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
There are so many good hearts that I've been privileged to know, or have known. My mom is in the local nursing home, and someone has been making a special effort to bring her homemade gifts - small pillows, throws, blankets. No one knows yet who the "mystery" gifter is though. Or the next door neighbor that finished picking the apples off our trees for us and then gave us apple butter in pretty jars. Then the neighbor that kept us supplied with fresh tomatoes from their farm all summer. It's all much appreciated because none of it was requested and was a gift from the heart. DH has been hauling wood to give to the neighbors today. He's already done 3 truckloads, and has about that many left to do.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
we have the BEST feed guy.
We asked him the best way to castrate a pig and he told us not to worry, he would show us. He came by on his half day and did the pig for us and refused to take any money.
When I asked if he knew anyone with lambs for sale he got the name for me.

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Is the chestnut tree large enough to harvest for any lumber? They have beautiful wood and with supply so very low it may be quite valuable.

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We truly have three that we are going to take down, only the one that drops all over the backyard is the main one.
And yes.. it is big enough for lumber..they all are.
I guess I could call the mill and see if they are interested...
that is how I would do it, right?

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
The family who sold their business to a Swedish firm back in September-ish, and then decided, as a family, to give each employee (230 of them) a cut of the sale. The employees each got a portion of 6.6MILLION dollars. (determined by how long they'd worked for the company) AND the contract of sale says that most positions will continue working....only a few management positions went away. How's THAT for nice ?
I started working for a guy who owned a small printing business, as the sole employee. Two years later, he fell ill and was diagnosed with terminal cancer. He sold the business and gave me a generous bonus and the promise that I'd continue having a job if I wanted it. I found out later, after his passing that my employment was one of the conditions of the sale.

I continued working for the new owner for several more years. Then he sold the company to a large corporation. One day shortly before we moved out of the old office (which was being closed down), the now former-owner handed me an envelope and said it was a little thank-you for all my help. It was a check for a rather large sum of money. By this time the office staff had grown, but everyone received bonuses and assurances that we would still have jobs if we still wanted them.

There are good people out there.

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
Threads like these just warm me all the way down to my toes. :)

There are good people out there, like the father and daughter that just came around gathering food for the local food back (today is Walk and Knock). I used to do that with MY daughters through 4-H, so it brought great memories as well.

Our next-door neighbor is the "angel" around here - he plows the gravel road (over a mile long) when it snows, mows for another neighbor whose allergies make it difficult to do it himself, and is always happy to help out.

Our feed store will run a tab for you.

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Sigh,,, I wish I had a chestnut tree... and I can plant one, but they take between 30 and 40 years to begin to produce. The 'nut' is high in vitamin C. The ones all in these parts died years ago and the folks who still have a living tree guard it rather carefully. I did manage to get some nuts this year from a tree on an uncles property which has been sold out of the family. The lumber from the trees is amazing and scarce as hens teeth. I'd sure check out that option BEFORE getting them cut.

yeah, the burrs are aggravating... but I still wish I had one...

And yes, there are many good things in many folks today... it's so nice when we notice and even nicer when we pass it along!

dawn

·
Registered
851 Posts
Don't know if any of you read my last post, but this thread has warmed my heart when it really needed it! Thanks for all the stories.

·
TLC Farm
246 Posts
My dh and I have always tried to help others and this year we were so blessed. Our neighbor always mows our hay and he takes half and we take half. He did this on the first hay cutting this year but, when it was time to get the second cutting we talked to him and he said he didn't need to get the second cutting because he had more hay than he could use. He did come and cut the hay though and when we tried to pay him for his time and fuel, he wouldn't take it.

That was such a blessing to us.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts