Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is an article in the Wall Street Journal online featuring
moderator, Tracy!

It may be tricky to view the entire article.

The Link

If you only get the "preview", go to Google news and search
for Hare Today. You should be able to read the entire article.

At Hare Today, her small farm here, Mrs. Murphy spends seven days a week slaughtering, packing and shipping rabbit. She's buying rabbit herds from neighbors and building an extra shelter to boost capacity to 500 female breeders from 200. Her freezers -- two walk-ins and a bank of industrial units in a converted garage -- are chockablock with whole four-pound rabbits, ground meat in five-pound tubes and sticks of jerky.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you only get the "preview", go to Google news and search
for Hare Today.
Using "Google news" is the only way I know to find their news
articles unless it has been available on the web for some time.
It has worked for everyone else. Sorry you are having
trouble. (I don't feel comfortable posting copyrighted material
in an open forum.)

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you people using Google news for your search?

http://news.google.com

This article appeared on my personalized news page so I know
you can get to it.

I just verified that you can search Google news for "rabbit" and
the article is also available.

L

·
0 Posts
dlwelch said:
Are you people using Google news for your search?

http://news.google.com
Yes. I even had google news open when I read your post. And I also have a personalized google news page.

I searched Hare Today and rabbit murphy and rabbit

The only instance of the article that comes up is the WSJ one.

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
ladycat said:
I have the same problem as Pony. :(

Sorry you're not able to find it, but at least I know that I'm not the only one excluded from "everyone else." ;) (How many "else's" are there, I wonder... and how do we know that they were all able to get to the article? LOL!)

Dlwelch, when I said that I could not access the article, I most certainly was NOT asking you to post it in the forum. I merely asked if you had any other suggestions for accessing it. Don't know how you got the impression that I was asking you to violate copyright.

Pony!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did not get the idea you wanted me to violate copyright.

There is one article.

There is a "FREE PREVIEW" at the link provided.

The same article that comes up when searching "News" is the complete article. I'm sorry Google is discriminating against HT members!

If I post the link to the full article, the FREE PREVIEW will appear. :shrug:

·
STILL not Alice
19,808 Posts
dlwelch said:
I did not get the idea you wanted me to violate copyright.

There is one article.

There is a "FREE PREVIEW" at the link provided.

The same article that comes up when searching "News" is the complete article. I'm sorry Google is discriminating against HT members!

If I post the link to the full article, the FREE PREVIEW will appear. :shrug:

Good. I was just concerned that you not think I would do that, is all.

I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets quoted somewhere else. No biggie.

It's VERY cool that Tracey got the write-up. Thanks for letting us know. :D

Pony!

·
Tub-thumper
1,588 Posts
For what it's worth, I went to Google News and used the search term "Hare Today" (including the quotes).

The article from the Wall Street Journal was the only result returned, and it shows the article in full: How Do Cats Like Rabbits? Very Much, And Preferably Raw

Interesting article!

/VM

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
i did the google news thing and searched for "hare today" and i found the story under the headline Mice, Grinder and a Tarp

hope this helps all

dean

·
Ex-homesteader
1,508 Posts
That's weird.

I found the article, read it, and when I went back to the same address, I got the article preview. How odd. Going back to the Google news page (news.google.com, searched for "rabbit") and clicking on the link takes me back to the original article though. :shrug:

It was a good article though! Congrats Tracy!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi All,

I am taking a quick lunch break and back to work.

The article was emailed to me by the reoprter so I think it is okay to copy it here.

How Do Cats Like
Rabbits? Very Much,
And Preferably Raw

Pet Food Scare Breeds
New Interest in Furry Fare;
Mice, Grinder and a Tarp
By CHARLES FORELLE
July 30, 2007; Page A1

SPRINGBORO, Pa. -- Even rabbits can't breed fast enough for Tracy Murphy's customers.

At Hare Today, her small farm here, Mrs. Murphy spends seven days a week slaughtering, packing and shipping rabbit. She's buying rabbit herds from neighbors and building an extra shelter to boost capacity to 500 female breeders from 200. Her freezers -- two walk-ins and a bank of industrial units in a converted garage -- are chockablock with whole four-pound rabbits, ground meat in five-pound tubes and sticks of jerky.

"When she started, I thought she was nuts," says her husband, Patrick. "Two years later, I quit my job to work for her."

Mrs. Murphy's frozen-bunny concern caters to cat owners -- and business is booming. While rabbit isn't an everyday human dish, at least in the U.S., its lean meat and mild flavor piques the feline palate. Lately, cats are gobbling up rabbits almost as quickly as Hare Today's chest-high grinders can reduce them to a crunchy mince.

A fringe contingent of cat owners has long rejected branded kibble in favor of raw rabbits, chickens, mice and other small animals. But interest has surged this year following the discovery that wheat gluten from a Chinese supplier adulterated with the industrial chemical melamine had made its way into dozens of brands of commercial cat and dog foods. The Food and Drug Administration recorded 17,000 complaints within several weeks of the first announcement in March. Some 4,000 were reports of pet deaths.

"All of a sudden, the idea of making your own food didn't seem so insane," says Anne Jablonski, who works for the federal government and also runs catnutrition.org1, an online collection of raw-feeding advice. Ms. Jablonski and other proponents point out that cats, in their natural environment, are carnivores that eat animals raw. So they shouldn't eat bits of meat padded out with grains and cooked in cans or baked into kibble.

By biological design, a cat "is lacking the ability to process those carbs efficiently," says Lisa Pierson, a Los Angeles-area veterinarian who switched her own cats to raw food nearly five years ago. In felines, carbohydrates contribute to obesity, diabetes and related diseases, says Dr. Pierson, who gives nutrition pointers on catinfo.org2. "What we are doing to our pets is basically right in step with what humans are doing to themselves in terms of nutrition."

At Hare Today, Mrs. Murphy estimates she's selling about 1,000 pounds of raw rabbit each week. Her sales are up about 20% since the pet-food recall. Wholefoods4Pets, a Washington state rabbitry, charges $6.10 for two pounds of coarsely ground rabbit ("includes head, bones, organ meats," according to its Web site). Its proprietor, Mary Whitney, says she "hasn't even stopped to think" how much more she's selling since March. "I lost customers because I had to put them on hold."

Rabbits at Hare Today are raised in a converted greenhouse.

Kelley Foust had been feeding his cats Eukanuba from a can for years. Last November, Racer and Bullseye -- previously "the picture of health," he says -- began vomiting. Their kidneys failed. He tried different foods and medication, racking up $2,600 in veterinary bills. In March, Mr. Foust saw the Eukanuba he had been buying on the recall list. "I had been feeding them poisoned food," he says. "It's not an easy thing to go through. I've cried, I've lost sleep."

A spokesman for Procter & Gamble Co., the maker of Eukanuba, says the company is individually addressing customer concerns.

Now, Mr. Foust buys four whole, skinned rabbits each month. Once a week, he defrosts one, chops it into a dozen pieces and puts it into a grinder. One rabbit, mixed with supplements including vitamins and raw organic egg yolk, serves the pair for a week. Mr. Foust's cats are energetic again, he says.

Many vets are wary of raw feeding. The American Veterinary Medical Association urges caution. The FDA says raw diets may be nutritionally incomplete. There's also the risk of transmitting bacteria to humans. In a newsletter, the agency warned owners who use such food: "Don't allow your pet to lick your face right after it has eaten."

Pet-food industry representatives say commercial feed is safe and carefully formulated by veterinary nutritionists. They characterize the recall as an aberration. Duane Ekedahl, president of the Pet Food Institute, an industry trade group, says commercial brands' sales are recovering. Cat- and dog-food sales in the U.S. topped $5.1 billion last year, not including figures from Wal-Mart Stores Inc., according to Information Resources Inc.

Raw feeders tout rabbit as ideal for cats because it's more substantial and cheaper to breed than the archetypal mouse. It's relatively low in fat. More subjectively, they say, cats eat it up.

"The biggest problem is that once people start feeding rabbit, [the cats] don't want anything else," says Sandy Arora, an educator in central Virginia, who runs a cat nutrition forum, Holisticat.com, where about 200 paying subscribers swap recipes and equipment tips.

Raw-feeding owners share a certain dedication to the regimen. Some fill freezers with shipments from companies such as Hare Today and RodentPro.com. Animals, when thawing, may seep. Making the raw food, owners say, requires bleach for sanitizing, as well as fortitude. Dr. Pierson, the veterinarian, says she felt queasy "the first time I sent a rabbit head through the grinder."

Holisticat's Ms. Arora is a vegetarian, but feeds her cats mice, rats, rabbits, Cornish game hen, quail, pheasant and chicken. For Thanksgiving she buys Missy, Pigpen, Trikki and Puma a small heritage-breed turkey from a nearby farmer. She hews larger animals into pieces or grinds them. Smaller creatures go on a tarp on her kitchen floor. Pigpen doesn't care for mouse tails, so Ms. Arora snips them off.

Rabbit is pricey compared with cans, kibble and even other raw meat. Bev Nelson of McKeesport, Pa., stopped using commercial cat foods after the March recall, first borrowing some chicken from a raw-feeding friend. Mitsy, her Siamese-Burmese, initially turned up its nose. Soon, Mitsy and Ms. Nelson's other cats were hooked.

That went double for rabbit. They "went nuts," she says. But at $21 for her two-pound order -- about $3 a pound, plus shipping -- she says she told a pair of her cats, " 'You two had better get a job.' "

Write to Charles Forelle at [email protected]3

URL for this article:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118575426713481787.html

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
What a great story! I've been feeding my dogs a combination of kibble, home cooked and raw for the better part of 10 years. Our oldest, a 14 year old gal, is probably going to be on raw & home cooked from now on out as she's experiencing some health problems and has decided to turn up her little nose at the premium canned food I bought. I should feel flattered though, that my dogs prefer my cooking to kibble!

One of the reasons I want to raise rabbits is for our dogs. I figure we can have first dibs on the cuts and the pups can have the rest.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hey, Tracy! Cool!
I've been buying rabbit from you for quite a while -- I just didn't know it was you!
My four cats and dog love it!

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I know that most of you won't be able to view the comments
regarding the article but I'll post the link anyway.

Google News

Here are a couple of comments:

They suffer in agony, being bred and massacred on this factory farm, where Mrs. Murphy lines her pockets from her malevolent business.
I hope your newspaper will focus on publishing articles about people who run compassionate businesses, not horrific rabbit mills.
Linda Welch

·
Working toward the dream
1,008 Posts
dlwelch said:
I know that most of you won't be able to view the comments
regarding the article but I'll post the link anyway.

Google News

Here are a couple of comments:

Linda Welch
Oh, brother! Do these people think a cat won't hunt a rabbit on its own, kill it, and eat it??? Mine does it all the time! These people probably don't eat meat either, right? :shrug:

Sheesh....... never mind, I'll be quiet now.... :flame:

Kitty

·
Registered
842 Posts
Hi All,

I know I dont post much anymore. Not enough time in the day.
I was actually surprised I only got a couple nasty emails. I have had a lot more enquiries about feeding a raw diet so people are educating themselves.

The people that emailed me were doing rescues and are members of the house rabbit society.

[Thanks Dean for the bible scriptures if you are reading this]

My response:

I certainly understand your devotion to rescue. There are as many different rescue operations for all kinds of animals and NO animal should be treated inhumanely.

I also believe that animals were put on this earth as a food source per the Bible:

Old Testament

The Lord destroyed all living beings on the earth - human beings, animals, and birds. The only ones left were Noah and those who were with him in the boat. GENESIS 7:23(NLT)

God blessed Noah and his sons and said, "Have may children. so that your descendants will live all over the earth. All the animals, birds, and fish will live in fear of you. They are all placed under your power Now you can eat them, as well as green plants; I give them all to you for food. GENESIS 9:1-3(NLT)

New Testament

Welcome the person who is weak in faith, but do not argue with him about his personal opinions. One person's faith allows him to eat anything, but the person who is weak in the faith eats only vegetables. The person who will eat anything is not to despise the one who doesn't: while the one who eats only vegetables is not to pass judgment on the one who will eat anything: for God has accepted him Romans 14:1-3(NLT)

I have a huge issue with factory type farms and how these animals are treated. We are a small farm and treat our animals with respect. Our animals are raised humanely. They are also processed in a humane nature.

If you would have taken the time to actually read the about us page on website you would see the conditions of our farm. I have nothing to hide. We do not just sell rabbit meat. The WSJ wrote an article that was based on rabbit meat for cats. We supply all different meats not only for cats but also dogs, ferrets and snakes, all are carnivores.

An animal does not have to be a rodent in order to justify using it as another food source. Do you believe tigers, and lions, and other large felines should be killed because they would kill other animals as there food source? I can guarantee you that your "holistic" cat food contains meat. A cat need meat or would not live. Maybe read your label on your cat food to see what you are actually feeding.

Any person that maliciously beats or hurts an animal for fun or pleasure should be prosecuted as animal abuse is not tolerable but there is a difference from abusing an animal and processing an animal in a humane matter for food.

We will not agree on this issue and I respect your devotion but my views have not changed. Target the huge factory farms that raise animals in inhumane conditions in cages, truck them 100 or thousands of miles to a slaughter houses and are only out to make a profit. We are not those people. We work 7 days a week taking care of our animals, they eat before we do. In the winter when it is -10 below out side we are thawing water buckets, shoveling stalls,etc. Unless you walk a mile in my shows you have no right to condemn us. I will answer to God some day and I believe I am following the Lords word.

Tracy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts