niacin

Discussion in 'Alternative Health' started by Hank - Narita, Dec 4, 2006.

1. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Anyone using niacin to lower bad cholesterol? Heard something about it on the news this evening.

2. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

My mom is an ARNP (just recently retired). She was a geriatric ARNP at a psychiatric hosp. close by and prescribed it all the time for patients with really good results. She also gave this to my dad and it has worked really well for him.
    One thing she did say was to use the Flush Free Niacin (you can get it at Wally World). It doesn't give you that hot flushed feeling that the reg. Niacin does. tyusclan momma

3. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

I on it per my doctors recommendation.
    I'm taking 2000 mg. per day.

For the first time ever, my numbers are in the ball park of nomal. Cholestrol had been just off the top end of normal, but my triglyerides were way off the charts (I have a sweet tooth).

With the Niacin my HDL has gone up and the LDL has dropped and the Triglycerides are still a little high, but at least they are measuable.

4. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i've never had a patient that could tolerate the side effects. the flushing feels like a never ending hot flash- kind of like living in an oven you can't get out of. i'm sorry but i don't trust anything that comes out of walmart, especially their herbal supplements. for example, they sell you stems and seeds when what you want is roots and leaves. that's probably why theirs is "flush free." not enough of the medicine in there to make any difference. please read labels and look it up on the innternet before using any herbal product.

end of rant. :)

imo, trans fat free diet, oatmeal every day, and nutritional yeast (where ever you can fit it into your diet- it contains niacin) is at least as effective as any medication available. the nutritional yeast is especially good on popcorn as well as sprinkled over vegetables, in casseroles and sauces. it has a nice cheesy/ nutty flavor that many people enjoy.

5. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

Well----I actually take Niaspam.

It is a time released niacin in perscription form.

6. tyusclan

tyusclan Well-Known Member

marvella,
    did you use the flush free kind. That variety(from the folks I've talked to) seemed to work better and not "hot flash" feelings.
    tyusclan momma

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I keep forgetting to get some...wanted to for a year or so now! I used to take it back in high school when I felt a migraine headache coming on. I took it one time in the middle of July when I was playing softball...that was a steamy experience! It really helped with the migraines, so I hope it helps with cholesterol too. I had mine checked in September and it was 318...hubby eats the same foods that I do and his is 160. GRRRRR.

8. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi All

Here's what I know. Niacin, and Niaspan helped increase my HDL.

I took a baby aspirin 30 minutes before the Niaspan. It was supposed to eliminate the flushed like a dog-gone fire feeling. Right. Sometimes it did, sometimes it DID NOT. I took it at bedtime so I'd be asleep if I flushed. I would even dream about being on fire. It was not unbearable, just unpleasant, and would last for 20 minutes or so.

The first time it happened, I was at work, and was ready to ask someone to call 911!

Rick

9. lodestar

lodestar Alternative Realities

Try eating a teaspoon of cinnamon a couple of times a day.

10. Marilyn in CO

Marilyn in CO Well-Known Member

11. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

I started the niacin shortly after my last post on this thread. I'm only taking 250 mg. and it's time-released. I noticed after a couple of days that I had more energy and that I wasn't hungry...I've lost 1 1/2 pounds after being stuck at the same weight for well over a month. I read up on niacin and there is some info on-line about it helping with metabolism. I certainly feel better...not a huge difference, but enough that I noticed a change and decided to investigate a bit. I won't know anything about the effect on my cholesterol until next September (unless my doc wants to do a test at my yearly exam in early Spring). Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

12. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

My DH's cholesterol was in the high 200's and our primary Dr. told him to take 3,000 mg of flush free Niacin a day. We get ours from Puritan's Pride. He hasn't been back to have it checked yet. I, on the other hand had a cholesterol level of 211. I took 1 tbls a day of Lecithin mixed in orange juice. Did this for about 3 months and went back and had my levels checked again...they had dropped a whopping 14 or 16 points (can't remember the exact number). It seemed to lower my bad cholesterol, but didn't raise the good, so I'm waiting to see how the Niacin pans out with DH. I may take that also if his numbers are promising.