NH-liberal or conservative

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by RLMS, Oct 28, 2006.

1. RLMS

RLMS Well-Known Member

Looking at a farm in NH.

Anybody have any info regarding political bent, gun laws, taxes?

Any input would certainly be appreciated.

2. spam4einstein

spam4einstein Well-Known Member

Its the live free or die state!

Id say its more libertarian. NO SALES TAX! Lots of social liberals (lots of colleges), but fiscialy consertive. Its not "gods" country if thats how you define conservative. Gun laws are loose. About the most lax you will find in the country. When I lived in CT I would go to NH to buy guns, it was the most gun friendly state in the northeast. I think its a great place for freedom loving people! Kind of reminds me of the southern appalachians without all bible thumping.

I dont consider bible thumpers conservitive, they want to control others.....to me they are the polar oposite of what a true conservitive should stand for...limited laws from a small government.

check out this web site for NH info on taxes. www.bankrate.com/brm/itax/edit/state/profiles/state_tax_NH.asp

3. BasicLiving

BasicLiving Well-Known Member

4. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

There's no sales tax, but there's plenty of other taxes that they get you on. Property & meals are just two that I can think of right now.

5. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

No sales tax, but you pay through the nose for property taxes. (That's why when older folks retire many of them are unable to keep their homes). I believe our property tax rate here is around $16 per thousand because we live in the more southern part of the state where there is industry and businesses which pick up quite a bit of the property tax burden. My parents, on the other hand, live in the rural northern part of the state where the tax rate is $25 per thousand.

I love New Hampshire ~ I wouldn't want to live anywhere else!

It IS getting much more crowded though...and with more people become more zoning and building laws. (We built a new chicken coop that is on a cinderblock foundation....and the building inspector stopped by to tell us that we needed to get a building permit. :shrug: )

Let me know if you end up purchasing the farm up here! We'll be neighbors! :)

6. Spotted Crow

Spotted Crow Well-Known Member

My SIL lives in Laconia and she gets socked with property taxes. Almost makes her want to live down here, but then she'd get stuck going to her parents every weekend... :rolleyes:

7. Justaplain

Justaplain Well-Known Member

You might want to check out the "interest and dividends tax" Any body who says its "tax free" is from Mars. bcs

8. labrat

labrat Well-Known Member

Since we're on the subject, can anyone tell me about the state of affairs in Maine, specifically, property taxes, availability of land, and possibly how the locals treat newcomers? I’ve applied for a position in Augusta and want some heads up if I am interviewed.

9. zealot

zealot Soli Deo Gloria

Maine and NH are somewhat left-leaning on many issues, but the leftward lean is more toward libertarianism rather than plain old liberalism.

10. Justaplain

Justaplain Well-Known Member

One more tax in NH. The assesor's now can put a value on the "view" you have from your front porch. bcs

11. A'sta at Hofstead

A'sta at Hofstead Turkey Wrangler

Well, I love it here! Wouldn't live anywhere else. I live in Carroll County which is pretty red actually. I have a bumper sticker that I can't put on my car because of being in business and not wanting to get into polictics, it says - Courage is a Carroll County Democrat. There is no helmet law in NH for motorcyclists, wearing a seatbelt is also up to the driver, except under 18. (plain crazy to not use it but you have the freedom) Property taxes are pretty high, but the quality of life and no sales tax makes up for it in my opinion. Winters are long and mud season is a pain, but what the heck, it is awesome. What county/area is the farm you are looking at?