Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what would be the best water purifier to get? Since I'm trying to get quite a bit done right now, the $$ just aren't stretching as far as I'd like. Is there a reasonably good purifier in the $50 to $75 range that will do close to what a Big Berkey will do?

·
God Smacked Jesus Freak
7,456 Posts
get one for backpacking, then you have a portable one.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
of what capacity are you looking for? 2-4 gallons a day or more?

You could probably make a big solar still very easily with a kiddie pool, some PVC water piping, a plastic tarp, a jug and a funnel.

Most of the bigger kiddie pools have a drain plug in the bottom. Get enough plumbing pipe and joint connectors and such so that you can hook some pipes to it and the length of the pipe should reach the center of the pool.

There shoud be an elbow connector and a small length of pipe arranged so that the small pipe points straight up. Put your funnel in there. You may want a couple bricks to brace the pipe so it doesn't end up twisting down or moving.

After filling the pool up with a few inches of water, cover with the plastic tarp. Use some bungees or duct tape so it is tight around the pool, with just a little slack.

Reason for the slack is so you can put a weight dead center so that the tarp dimples right over the funnel.

Operation: As the sun shines on the pool, it vaporizes the water which then touches the tarp and is cooled to dew. When the drops sticking to the tarp are heavy enough, they roll down toward the center of the tarp where the funnel is waiting to collect the water as it drips into the pipe. The collected water then trickles through the pipe to the drain, where you have the jug waiting to collect the purified distilled water.

You might have to dig a hole to put the collection jug at the drain, or build a raised platform for your distiller out of some old discarded wooden pallets.

On a hot day, this can generate gallons of distilled water for you.

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info, Billhoo! I'm printing it off for future reference. I like the size of the Big Berkey but I've looked at some of the purifiers you can attach to your faucet. I'm mainly interested in something that will kill bacteria and all the bad stuff. So far, the Berkey seems to be the only one that really guarantees that.

I'm sure I'll go ahead and order the Big Berkey from Frugals. They have a good price on the one with two white filters. Just thought I'd double check in case someone knew of a less expensive one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm not familiar with a Berkey, but I have a Katadyn Pro Hiker water filter that is made for backpacking and it's in the price range you mentioned. Been using it for years in the backcountry and haven't keeled over yet!

G

·
Thanks for the info, Billhoo! I'm printing it off for future reference. I like the size of the Big Berkey but I've looked at some of the purifiers you can attach to your faucet. I'm mainly interested in something that will kill bacteria and all the bad stuff. So far, the Berkey seems to be the only one that really guarantees that.

I'm sure I'll go ahead and order the Big Berkey from Frugals. They have a good price on the one with two white filters. Just thought I'd double check in case someone knew of a less expensive one.
That is a hard chunk of money to part from, but once you have the Berkey, you'll be glad you have it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I am probably the last one to know about frugals but what is it. I googled frugals but didnt find any berkeys . We are going to buy a berkey and are trying to find the best price too. pen

·
Registered
662 Posts
Some folks buy just the filters which would be close to your price range and make their own system. Spinner posted a nice one she made a while back plus there have been plans posted using white plastic buckets.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
i posted earlier that i got 2 black filters at morethanalive.com they give a choice of a free 25ish dollar gift with purchase. they were fast and fair.

ar

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
my understanding is that the backpacking filters have a much shorter working life than berkey filters. eg, my big berkey is rated about 10,000-30,000 gallons for the white sterysl filter elements, and 3,000 gallons for the black berkey filter elements. my MSR waterworks backpacking filter is rated for 300 gallons.

as for "cheaper", you can buy a berkey filter, and mount it in a 5 gallon food-grade plastic bucket, and perhaps save some money. i've seen some examples somewhere on the web, but don't have a link handy.

i figured buying the 2 white filter berkey from frugal squirrels, i was effectively paying $100 for the stainless steel cases around the filters, and the case should last for decades. depends on what you value your time at, and how many usable parts you already have laying around your junk drawer.

--sgl

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
How well do the Berkeys do at removing heavy iron content from water? I am looking at buying at least the filters, but with the orange/brown water that comes out of our well, I want to be sure that the filters can handle it without clogging up.

·
Registered
662 Posts
How well do the Berkeys do at removing heavy iron content from water? I am looking at buying at least the filters, but with the orange/brown water that comes out of our well, I want to be sure that the filters can handle it without clogging up.
It does great. I have lots of iron in my water with all that orange stuff you mentioned and the filters are almost two years old. I do have to clean them with the scotch brite pad ever so often but when I do, they are as good as new.

G

·

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I stopped stalling and ordered my Big Berkey from Frugal's site today. I got the $163 deal with the two white filters. That's the best price I've seen.

I've been checking and re-checking and there just doesn't sound like anything else out there that does the job this one does. I'll consider it a Christmas present to myself. :D

·
Premium Member
10,357 Posts
It does great. I have lots of iron in my water with all that orange stuff you mentioned and the filters are almost two years old. I do have to clean them with the scotch brite pad ever so often but when I do, they are as good as new.
Thanks, Wildwood! I was looking for info from folks actually using them. Looking at the sites, they talked about leaving the important minerals our bodies need, and I wasn't clear on whether that included my nasty iron. I'm so ready to give myself a Berkey for Christmas. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
Thanks, Wildwood! I was looking for info from folks actually using them. Looking at the sites, they talked about leaving the important minerals our bodies need, and I wasn't clear on whether that included my nasty iron. I'm so ready to give myself a Berkey for Christmas. :)
You won't be sorry. I've saved a lot of money using the Berkey already because I'm not having to buy the Pur filters every month. I do have the black filters in mine. This is my favorite place to buy from and shipping is free:

www.thealertstore.com

1 - 20 of 31 Posts