Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How is the best way to put newspaper down in the garden to keep down weeds and grass?

:worship:

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
We put it down nice and thick and than put other mulch on top of it to keep it down. In good old south central Michigan we most generally have bales of ruined hay from rain that provides us will tons of mulch :haha:

·
Registered
204 Posts
The best garden we ever had we used newspaper mulch. We used at least 3 or 4 layers of newspaper and covered it with grass clippings(we had a mower with a bagger) several inches deep, and kept adding to it over the summer. What few weeds did grow were easily pulled.

It's easiest to wet the newspaper first so it doesn't blow away while you're trying to spread it out. We used a wheelbarrow full of water. We also used cardboard(plain brown corrugated, not glossy) under the mulch. Vinyl siding boxes cover a lot of space very quickly!

·
Windy Island Acres
4,588 Posts
Rodale's greates shortcuts says to use one thickness of paper for every month you want weed control.

·
Premium Member
839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for your replies. I am going to try some newspaper and see if it will cut down on the weeds for me. My weeds are growing faster than the veggies. :haha:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts