Newspaper

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by BeeFree, May 18, 2004.

1. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

How is the best way to put newspaper down in the garden to keep down weeds and grass?

:worship:

2. pinemead

pinemead Well-Known Member

I put down about a triple layer, wet it down and put straw, mulch or pine needles on top.

3. diane

diane Well-Known Member

We put it down nice and thick and than put other mulch on top of it to keep it down. In good old south central Michigan we most generally have bales of ruined hay from rain that provides us will tons of mulch :haha:

4. shakeytails in KY

shakeytails in KY Well-Known Member

The best garden we ever had we used newspaper mulch. We used at least 3 or 4 layers of newspaper and covered it with grass clippings(we had a mower with a bagger) several inches deep, and kept adding to it over the summer. What few weeds did grow were easily pulled.

It's easiest to wet the newspaper first so it doesn't blow away while you're trying to spread it out. We used a wheelbarrow full of water. We also used cardboard(plain brown corrugated, not glossy) under the mulch. Vinyl siding boxes cover a lot of space very quickly!

5. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Rodale's greates shortcuts says to use one thickness of paper for every month you want weed control.

6. BeeFree

BeeFree Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks for your replies. I am going to try some newspaper and see if it will cut down on the weeds for me. My weeds are growing faster than the veggies. :haha: