Newspaper stories

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jena, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

My local paper is coming to interview me tomorrow for a business story. They do this for all new businesses (eventually), so it's not because I'm extra-special.

They usually do quite a big story and take a photo even. It's a great opportunity for free publicity!

While waiting for an answer to my caulk question, I'm trying to get myself organized so I say what I want to say and don't forget anything.

Anyone have some tips on how to do this. Never done it before, but it's exciting!

Jena

PS...September is National Chicken Month! Maybe they will finally have the coronation and pronounce me the official Chicken Queen of Paris.

2. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Focus on why your product is so wonderful without sounding like you are tooting your own horn. Let them know that animals raised in a safe, caring environment taste better and are healthier. Smile all the time so they can see what a happy homesteader you are. Name your sources to show you've done your homework and are well versed on your subject. Throw in a few humerous stories to keep their attention. Be yourself and enjoy sharing your favorite topic with them. You are a natural and will do fine. Let us know how it goes.

3. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

An informative press release and a website address are two great things to include with free news advertising.

4. Windy in Kansas

Windy in Kansas In Remembrance

Way to go. I hope the interview goes well. Maybe our very own reporter gal from Alabama can give you some good advice. Suz in 'bama? Something like that anyway.

Don't give too much information or everyone will think you are getting rich and will want to give you competition. Knowing that, you can handle it just fine.

Best wishes.

5. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I've seen reporters get the simplest facts wrong. I agree with some sort of press release. Have your name and your spouse's, the name of your business and what your business does in the same words you want to see in the paper. If you want to see "pastured beef using no growth enhancers" then state that or the paper may print "cattle housed on their property".

Will this article appear on a website?

6. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

YES!!! WRITE IT YOURSELF BEFORE THEY COME!!!! LOL!! (It'll probably just sound better, and once they print it..well???? I speak from experience... The 'interviewer' didn't quite catch the points I was verbalizing and well.... it just would have been better if I had written it!)

She/he would probably appreciate your having the press release ready and just hand it to them... Or not???? :eek:

7. Put your "Press Release" on a floppy or CD for the reporter, make their life a bit easier.

8. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

Make sure there's no broccoli between your teeth when they take your photo...

9. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

Here's the website for the paper. She said they will print tomorrow, but I don't know when it will show up online (if it does).

http://www.parisbeacon.com

Jena