News, News, News---Read All About it

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Fire-Man, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Mark your Calendars, For the First time since 1995 I am Rabbit--less. I just sold my last 5 does and 1 buck. This Feels Strange already. My "Meals On Wheels" rabbitery is empty. I Might not sleep good tonight.

We have a lot of rabbits in the freezer, Rabbit canned in jars on the shelf. The wife has already said very little garden this coming spring so I do not need the "poop". I really needed to take a break. Last time I was at the Auction---nice size adults were selling for $2 or $3 each---no money there.

Guess I will do a little repair to a few cages----have everything ready---might pick up some more rabbits in the spring---might not!!
    I am planning on doing a lot of fishing---something I have not done in many years until I started back last July when I bought a new Bass tracker Boat. Also Been doing a lot of catfishing the last few months, plan to get back into Bass fishing heavy come spring---Just got my little 12ft bass fishing boat(I built in 1985) repaired and ready a few weeks---already used it a couple times to do some catfishing. Back in the 1980's and early 1990's I have caught MANY bass using this boat---really looking forward to seeing if I still Got It and put some bass in this boat. I will miss the rabbits, but I hope to enjoy the fishing.

nehimama likes this.
  2. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Congratulations...but it sounds like you are not completely free of your rabbit addiction IF you are thinking maybe more in the spring.
    I certainly can understand not wanting rabbits right now when the temps here are in the single digits...on a good day...often minus numbers. But, come spring, things always look better and that's the time when your resolutions fall apart. At least enjoy the rest of the winter without having the rabbit burden. :)
    Oh, and good luck with the fishing.

Fire-Man likes this.

3. Fire-Man

Let me clear up a thing or two---they were really not a burden--well I did have to feed them daily and carry water for them the last few days because I had to drain the automatic watering because of the Freezing weather. My Thing about them was---I was not breeding them---because we were stocked up on rabbit----thought about getting rid of them but didn't. Then a Man posted yesterday he wanted some meat Rabbits----I replied to see how many he wanted---more than I had---I offered him mine for a price and he said he would take them all. Quickly I was out the business, but I like rabbit meat, so I will either buy some grown ones or raise some, but it might be some time---I will eat a lot of fish probably----got a lot of catfish in the freezer now, maybe some bass too in the spring---LOL.

arnie likes this.
  4. Forcast

Forcast Well-Known Member

I understand that feeling. When the last bird and pig left I washed all the founts and feeders and stored them away just incase. I think I'll leave them one more year just incase. Glad you found something you both enjoy.

nehimama and Fire-Man like this.
  5. Lookin4GoodLife

Lookin4GoodLife Well-Known Member

Fire-Man, I was doing some research on the "meals on wheels" and I saw somewhere you mentioned something about the "loft", IIRC. I finally found me a good trailer and I'm making preliminary sketches for my version. Will be a lot smaller than your's, but think it will work out well. Can you post some pics or point to some links of pictures inside showing how you set up storage and what-not, the stuff other than the rabbit cages? My trailer is about 16' long with an additional slant to build a little entrance-way and 8' wide at the front and 6'4" wide at the back. I'll post some pics as soon as I can. The floor is made out of grating that I think is wide enough to let poop pass right through. It was built from scratch by a machinist/welder to carry a bull-dozer..... you walk on it and it doesn't even know you're there. :)

6. Fire-Man

Not a Loft---well just a space between the over head joice and the rafters---I keep the nexting boxes, etc up there. This area is open. Also as you can see in a pic above the door---I have a 50 gallon original water tank from the camper. I do not have a pic but I also have shelves built on the side walls high enough to not interfere with my top opening cages. More Pics than you are asking for, but pics so others can see the whole process.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  7. Fire-Man

More pics.

Attached Files:

8. Fire-Man

More Pics.

Attached Files:

9. Fire-Man

Anymore question, just Holler. Not patting myself on the back---but this is Awesome---made my rabbit raising so much easier. Sure you have to have the room and being able to move is some so the rain can help get rig of the urine smell. I would Love for everyone to have one or similar.. OH gonna show a pic of it wrapped up for the winter---its in the sun most of the day to help with heating----works great---I do not move it for about 3 months for the coldest part of winter---so the skirting will stay for that time, then be removed/stored in the "loft" until next winter. Pics of the Auto waterer. Sure I have to drain it during the freezing times, but here that is not very many times. Look close at the far end of both water pipes and you will see turn-off valves---I just crack them when its going to be freezing in a few hrs and let the system slow drain completely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  10. Lookin4GoodLife

Awesome, thanks for the additional pics. I'm in Georgia, so similar weather. I've got the room and a tractor to pull this thing around with, so.... :) The guy who sold me the trailer was clearing off his land and he gave me so much scrap metal, the trailer basically cost me nothing. I-beams, tube, all kinds of stuff.... Plus he's a super nice guy. I told him I'd help him clean up all that stuff if he'd teach me how to weld and he said, "Ah, I'd do that anyway." :) So I'm trying to design this thing now and come up with some good ideas starting with the "meals on wheels" as a base model. There are some wood strips under my flooring that I'm going to try to take out and weld some metal spacers in so they're not affected by the urine. If I can't get them out, I'll cover them like you did your floor joists with some type of deflectors. RT2.jpg RT3.jpg RT1.jpg

Fire-Man likes this.
  11. Lookin4GoodLife

On that back platform I'll weld on a rung type step or two. On that slant right there I'll build a wooden deck like a porch with an overhang to get out of the weather when going in and out. I'll take the crank jack off the front and just weld on an upside down T that'll keep it level and just pick it up with my 3ph on my tractor to move it around. I think it's a good base to start with and I'm real excited about it. :)

Fire-Man likes this.
  12. Fire-Man

I am sure you know I collect the poop for the worms and fertilizer---so all that goes to the dirt is urine. Urine will make metal rust---for sure if it stays on it. I made the deflectors because dust settles on top of things, then holds some urine in the dust, then you got a smell that goes with you on the moves---I wanted to eliminate all that and it does. Looks Good!! Keep posting as you build!!!

13. Lookin4GoodLife

Will it eat through polyurethane? I was thinking about grinding all the rust off there I could and then spraying it down with polyurethane. I was thinking about just painting it, but I'm guessing the urine will eat through that for sure. The soil is so poor over there due to erosion that I will probably just pull it around and let the poop drop for a while, but I do like the idea of collecting the poop for the garden so I may adopt a screen idea later. I may end up with trays underneath the cages to direct both poop and urine out the sides so nothing goes through the floor, but haven't decided yet. :) We're going this afternoon to pick up another big load of metal from that gentleman. Once I get everything over there and sorted through, I'll come up with a build plan.

14. Lookin4GoodLife

Oh yeah, I *am* building swales and just putting down rows of slash to start controlling runoff before I start building my soil. :) Most of the land is not a big slope, but nothing has been done to it *ever* I don't think so it'll just take a while to get it built back up and fertile.

Fire-Man likes this.