News from Park Management

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Ninn, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Ninn

Ninn Custom Crochet Queen

Just had a visit from the park manager here. It seems that the person who has been "staying with" my neighbor is a registered sex offender. This person has been next door all summer, babysitting her kids, and hanging out in the side yard while my grandbabies are in the yard on their swingset. (I am always with them. It just unnerves me.) I have to tell my daughter, as she can no longer let her daughter go to the school bus unattended. (she was trying it out cuz she wants to be a big girl, and mommy can see from the door) My son will now be accompanying her to the bus stop every morning, as it is right in front of this persons home. I checked the site myself after management left-this guy is a lifetime registrant, repeat offender with a history of physical violence and rape. Part of his release info states that he is to notify management-he never did. We can't use this information to get rid of him, either. All we can do is notify his parole officer that he has been residing with children and is in a trailer park loaded with them. My daughter was just getting to where she would take her kids outside to play. Now she will not bring them out at all. Makes me seriously consider rethinking my stand on guns in the home, as my second daughter will be back soon and is pregnant.

2. fantasymaker

fantasymaker Well-Known Member

would his crimes be relavant to his currant situation? in other words did he attack the neighbors kids?

3. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

First, if I were living there and I could move, I would. Period. It's just not worth the constant worry. If not, I'd really be weighing my options--as I'm sure your family is.

The safety and security of children isn't something to be 'wait and see' about, fantasymaker.

~~

4. fantasymaker

why do you make that comment and then assocate my name with it?

5. Lawbag

Lawbag Well-Known Member

Contact the local parole office and find out who is supervising officer is. Then call him/her. I don't know how things are up in PA, but here in Florida, a lot of sex offenders who are on supervision (parole, probation, or conditional release) have restrictions on living with or having contact with children. You may want to make his parole officer aware that he is living with and babysitting children. Also check to see what the laws are regarding residence within a certain distance of school bus stops, etc.

6. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

Because of your first post:
    His current situation matters not, what matters is the fact that he's a sexual predator and therefore a threat to the safety and security of all children.

~~

7. fantasymaker

why?

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

Not necessarily. There are plenty of sex offenders that never target children. There is a whole different psyche involved.

9. fantasymaker

Ok Im not real bright but Id hazard a guess that if he was convicted for raping a little old lady and thats what hes attracted to he isnt a lot of threat to your kids
    Just like if he was sodomising a dog.Un less the kids bark hes liky not interested.
    Now what if its like some sexual prediters and it was a case of his wife wanted the kids and didnt care what she did to him? in that case its iffy and I wouldnt take a chance.

PERSONALLY Id like to have a idea about what we are talking about before rushing to judgement. Thats why I asked a question.

10. Ninn

He was convicted of violently raping someone. That is all we know at this point. Since my grandbabies play in my yard, and he can see into it from his living room, we are concerned. We will be putting up an 8 foot high stockade fence around the entire yard and locking it from within, The babies are never alone in the yard anyway, but it will make me feel better. My teenage daughter, the one who asked to go into foster care cuz she didnt like the rules at home? She will not be allowed to come home if he is still here in the park.

We are contacting parole tomorrow morning to find out exactly what the rules are. I believe he is not supposed to be within 500 feet of a child or a school bus stop, etc. We do not have all the details yet, but we will find out whatever we are legally allowed to know in order to protect our families.

What bothers me the most is this:

1) felons are not supposed to have access to weapons, yet this man has guns.

2) he was here for 5 months before he showed up on the registry site, and his conviction is from 2001. it took that long for the state to update his address.

3) this person can see into my home (or could until today-all windows on that side of the house are now covered tightly)

4) i am usually home alone during the day with just Panda the wonder dog.

As I said, I am seriously considering changing my stand on guns in the house. Yes, I could probably beat the tar out of him. However, if it comes to a him or me or worse a him or my child situation, i want the resulting action to be permanent. I don't know how this guy ever avoided going to prison.

11. tinknal

Ninn, either you facts are wrong, or PA LE is falling down on the job. A felon posessing firearms is a felony itself and should result in immediate arrest and revocation of any parole or probation.

12. luvrulz

luvrulz Well-Known Member Supporter

If anyone is interested in checking out their neighborhood, you can do so here: http://www.sexoffender.com/search.html

I wouldn't freak out until I knew all the facts too. Just know who lives around you and what to watch for and be careful.

13. Ninn

Thats what I thought. He managed to get a hunting license this past season. He had a rifle in his possession-this was witnessed by several people in the park, including management. He is the first offender listed in my zip code search on the pa megan's law registry site maintained by the pa state police. We are assuming that when he was arrested for tagging the doe he shot less than 40 feet from a residence as a buck, they probably nailed him for the weapons as well as for the illegal discharge of said weapon and the tag switch on the deer. However, he was back in the park yesterday, and has imported himself a big ol'e dog in that trailer for protection. He must have known that his update was going to appear and that management would be required to notify us. They are also planning to notify the school, as they are unaware of his presence here. As for the rest, we are contacting the state police tomorrow to find out EXACTLY what is going on and what we can do about it.

14. Rowenna7

Rowenna7 Looking for my place...

I have a registered sex offender living essentially right across the street from me and I have two daughters. I know how you feel...

About the guns, not sure if this is applicable or not, but in some states it is legal for a convicted felon to own and hunt with a muzzleloader. Maybe this is what he has?

Regardless, I would definitely check with the authorities and find out if you have any legal way to get him out of there.

15. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

If i'm not mistaken i heard recently that if an accused sex offender had charges dropped against them, they would still go onto the sex offenders registry.
    He then wouldn't be a felon and could own the guns. :shrug:

16. lonelytree

lonelytree Guest

Until you do, be careful and don't freak out. It is possible that the man is innocent. It is possible that he is rehabilitated (don't count on it though).

If you have proof that he has violated his parole, get MORE, take pics, video tape etc.. and get him off the streets for a long time. When you communicate with authorities do not make stuff up, speak hearsay/second hand or do/say anything that could effect your credibility.

17. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just because he is a sex offender doesn't mean he is a pedophile (sexually attracted to children). Ninn, you may need to worry more about your own safety or your daughter's safety as it sounds more likely this guy is attracted to grown women than your grandchildren.

18. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

Anyone who would perpetrate a violent rape is a danger to all around him. Sex offenders are sex addicts, and even though some are primarily attracted to a particular type, age or gender of victim, in the absence of said type, will obey their sick compulsions on whoever is available. I have experienced this personally.

A person like this has already proved that they do not respect normal boundaries, having perpetrated the ultimate violation.

While is is possible that the man is innocent, and it is possible that his crime was misrepresented, he has failed to register, which makes him suspect, in my way of thinking.

I believe, Ninn, that you should be as vigilant as you possibly can, and do follow the course of action you have laid out to perform.

:flame: :flame: :flame:

19. tinknal

I have a hard time believing this. This would certainly be unconstitutional unless the dropping of the charges were part of some sort of plea agreement.

20. Belly Acre

Belly Acre Well-Known Member

I think this is why I believe the SEX OFFENDER list should have more to it than someone being on it or not....are they a threat to all that live around them or was it a (1) situation that landed them on the list? I have known 2 people on the list NEITHER were people who would attack a minor or would have sexual tendancies toward a minor. One was a neighbor who had a relationship with a girl who turned out to be a minor..they had written evidence that she misrepresented herself in writing....still turned up on the list. The other person was an alcoholic who got caught peeing beside a trash dumpster and was on the list.
    By no means take any chances with your children BUT remember it is a list and that said list isn't enough information to freak out about. My teenagers look at the list often, it is listed on our "favorites" list. They check out who is on the list in our county, they may need the info someday while out biking on country roads. Always lean on the side of precaution but in some cases there are other sides to the story. An indication on the list as to whether they are a predator would be nice to know.