Newly Diagnosed Diabetic . . .

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by nehimama, Dec 10, 2006.

1. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

. . . Type II. Not having any pity parties here. I am inspired to be as active as possible in managing this disease. I plan to cooperate fully with my health care provider's suggestions/orders, and do those things I need to do.

However, I'm still in the learning process, and have found zillions of website on the 'net. Lots of info out there!

I'm wondering if any of you are also Type II Diabetics, and if you have found any particularly helpful websites that you think are worthwhile?

Can anyone suggest any particularly helpful books? Forums?

Thanks!

NeHi

2. moopups

moopups In Remembrance

In beautiful downtown Sticks, near Belleview, Fl.
    As a type 2 also, the first thing to do is completely avoid any food in the color white. Bread, rice, potatoes, ect. Switch to whole wheat breads, sweet potatoes, brown rice, ect. I no longer take meds due to the switch over.

3. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

Thanks, Moo! That's good to know. I do like brown rice, whole grain foods, AND sweet potatoes. That part won't be so hard.

NeHi

4. Explorer

Explorer Well-Known Member Supporter

Absolutely, if it's white avoid. Some fruits also, especially bananas. Look up simple and complex carbohydrates and avoid all simple carbs.

5. caroline00

caroline00 Well-Known Member

Consistant exercise helps the body produce insulin too.

6. frogmammy

frogmammy Well-Known Member Supporter

7. Cat

Cat Well-Known Member

I've been told that those who follow the zone diet are able to manage their type II quite well.

8. dragonfly1113

dragonfly1113 Well-Known Member

I am a type 1 but didnt get it until I was 33. I was dx as a type 2 until I went to Vanderbilt and they ran tests to find out that I am a type 1. I can eat anything I want because I am on insulin and have been taught how to calculate insulin per carbs ratios. Currently I am on an insulin pump and it gives me more freedom than shots. Advice for anyone type one or two is to follow the doctors orders. Your doctor should have set up an appt. to see a dietician (sp) With diet and exercise you should be able to control your diabetes, hopefully without medication. But sometimes you will still have to take meds. I found a doctor that will not let me slid on anything. I either do like I am suppose to or I will have to find another doctor. Yep, he keeps me in line. Good luck to you.
    Susie