newly acquired bun

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by SherryR, Apr 12, 2006.

1. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

Just got a 'new' (to me) rabbit at the local club sponsored rabbit auction. She's an older female (yes, I know, I know, but she was just weaned off a litter, & I hoped I could perhaps get another litter before she became completely retired). She had loose stools first day or so, understandable. . . . gave her hay & some of her pellets, mixed with a little of mine, every day increasing ours decreasing hers. She doesn't have completely loose stools, does have regular ones, but sometimes in between has big soft one every now and then. It's been 4 days since she's been here. Any recommendations on what else to do, to lessen her loose stools?
    Sherry

2. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

I've heard the plant Shepherd's Purse is good for scours. Feed any of the above ground parts of the plant in small quantities for a few days. It's a fast-growing annual plant, but not knowing where you are located I'm not sure if it will be up yet or not. No sign of it yet in Southern Ontario, but we are only Zone 5.

3. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Okay, rabbits aren't really rodents, their lagomorphs, which means that they are double digesters. They have a cecum where all the hard to digest stuff goes to ferment, and its then expressed as 'cecal pellets' their also called 'night feces' They look like bunches of grapes, are wet shiny and soft, and the bunny gobbles them up directly from their own anus. Think about that the next time you kiss that cute little twitchy nose. cecal pellets are perfectly normal, sometimes they do produce more and then you will see them. This may be what your seeing, if her normal bunny balls look hard dry and round she should be just fine.

4. SherryR

SherryR Well-Known Member

thank you Honorine! No, I dont kiss rabbits for that very reason, but my daughter could care less . . .

Sherry

5. Honorine

Honorine Carpe Vinum Supporter

Forgive me Sherry, I couldn't help myself!!! I make my six year old kiss their ears, I'm so anal