Newfoundlanders

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by scottdoyle, Oct 13, 2004.

1. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

I am looking for information on pig farming in Newfoundland. Are there any Newfoundlanders who could answer some questions for me?

2. bubbba

bubbba Well-Known Member

Sorry a fellow Ontario person here but I was curious why you are intrested in this subject?
    I would love to visit newfoundland someday I bet its a real trip, I used to work with a newfie and he was a great guy a real laugh when he would get swearing and worked up you couldnt understand a thing he said LOL

3. scottdoyle

scottdoyle Active Member

The reason I was asking is I'm a Newfoundlander myself and was wondering if I could make a go at pig farming there.

4. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad was stationed at Goose Bay when I was 6. I still have wonderful memories of living in Newfoundland. Don't remember any pigs, tho.......
    Tana Mc

5. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

My Hubby is a newfie, who used to grow a little garden every year. I know bunches of newfies, plus we go up there at least once a year. What do you want to know? BTW, nice irish name, there Doyle.

6. sullen

sullen Question Answerer

I would think that you could do anything there, as long as you kept them warm. I am learning that, living in Maine. Everything has to take advantage of the sun energy. If you built a roof that would take advantage of the heat of the sun, they would be fine. I don't know about the snow, though. Sounds like you'd need a big barn or butcher everything before the bad snow starts.

7. landlord

landlord Well-Known Member

My DH was in the USAF and stationed in Newfie at a Radio base in the early 60's. They were on red alert for Nam but did not have to go. He still likes to talk like they do now and then. He has good memories of Newfoundland.