Newby

Discussion in 'Cattle' started by trnubian, Sep 28, 2005.

1. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

I am not really new to cattle, I have shown them for my uncle and his friend for years, but have never owned any.

My family want to raise a beef to eat. My question is, how many would we need to buy and sell in order to pay for the expenses of feeding one and butchering it. Would 3 pay off all of their expenses if 2 were sold and one was butchered?

How much grazing area would they need. How many round bales would be needed if calves were placed in a 1/2 acre of grass and fed for 6-9 months?

How long would it take to feed out a 5 month old calf? These are chiangus calves. Show quality animals. They are not rangy.

What kind of starter grain would we need to get. We have our own grain mixed at the local grain elevator for our dairy goats.

I know they carry a baby beef pelet that we could mix with corn and oats. What should we feed to finish them out? Just a high percentage of straight corn and a few oats thrown in?

2. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Well-Known Member

I can't answer all of these but I can say a few things.

My question is, how many would we need to buy and sell in order to pay for the expenses of feeding one and butchering it.
    Take the cost of the calves and add in any that apply: feed, medications, vet bills, amortized housing, advertising and butchering. Find the going price per pound/unit for your area (Eastern WA is generally 1.25 per lb hanging weight). Decide when you will butcher for an approximation of your saleable beef and then start fiddling with figures until you get them where you want them. Too many of these are localized variables or unknowns for me to give you any real figures.

Above all else, know your market.

How long would it take to feed out a 5 month old calf? Baby beef can be slaughtered at 6-8 months; more body and "beef"-iness than veal. For optimum "beef" flavor, texture and big cuts, old timers go 15-18 months. Those time frames are for standard middle-of-the-road steers.

3. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

Price for freezer beef in TN "standing weight" is .95 to 1.10 just depends on the buyer, seller, condition etc. this converts to $2.70 frozen and packaged

To answer the "how many" question would require a crystal ball what will the price per pound be 8 months from now

What kind of grain ....... my recomendation is 14% stocker grower in a creep feeder let them have it when they want it, when you go to finish them off get rid of the "extra" calves and go to corn for 4-6 weeks some say cracked corn but I prefer crushed corn w/20% beans

4. trnubian

trnubian Twin-Reflection Nubians

Thanks for all the info guys!