NEWBORNS WITH A "TOUCH OF EAR"

Discussion in 'Goats' started by GOATDADDY, May 15, 2005.

1. GOATDADDY

GOATDADDY Well-Known Member

Got home from work yesterday, fed and watered, missed one of my nannies, went in the barn, there she was with two sweet little babies. Seemed like they were fine after I got them all penned up in the barn. Came home tonight and was looking at them closer. Each one on their left ear, which is mindful of a nubian or boer ear, has about the last half inch creased and folded up. The nanny left one with a pretty long umbilical cord (eighteen inches) so I trimmed it up, don't worry it was very dried up already. They are both little girls. I believe they are going to be some very pretty nanny goats in the future.

2. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

If you don't want "The Flying Nun" effect, you can wait and see if they relax or tape popsicle sticks (minus the popsicle...lol ) to their ears.

They do usually relax. They are too cute when their ears tip up like that!

3. animal_kingdom

animal_kingdom Well-Known Member

Oh, I forgot!

CONGRATULATIONS!

4. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Yeah congrats here too. One of my Boer x Nubian nannies dominoed this afternoon. Two little bucklings. Was out working in the barn when she went in to labor so the wife and I were able to be there and watch the whole thing.

5. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!!on all the babies.

6. Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians

Vicki McGaugh TX Nubians Well-Known Member

Each one on their left ear, which is mindful of a nubian or boer ear, has about the last half inch creased and folded up

This fold is considered a fault, it's genetic and the dam likely had her's fixed, or the buck did, eitherway they are both carrying this and will continue when bred to each other, have kids with this fault (we know this is not just a simple recessive because both kids in the litter have it). With genetic faults it's up to the breeder to deem which ones are important or not. You can fix it if you fix them when quite young and the ear is still pliable.

Congrats on the two doelings, doelings were hard to come by this year it seems :) Vicki

7. Dee

Dee Well-Known Member

I usually use the thick plastic surgical tape and tape them down. I put one strip longways down the ear and back up the inside. Then I wrap a piece around the ear to hold the first tape down, then another above that. I used to use cardboard shaped to the ear but found the thick tape works great. Keeps ear tips warm in the winter too :)

8. HunterTed

HunterTed Rockin B Farm

Yes doelings are hard to come by it seems. Every goat that I have had this year has been a buckling.

My Boer buckling (now approaching 6 months of age) has the folded up ear thing that you are speaking of. It doesn't bother me at all and since none of my goats are papered I really don't think it matters, does it.

9. GOATDADDY

Thanks to all! Thanks for the good information. Guess what, another nanny had twins Tuesday afternoon, both are little girls, their mom was huge and these two are bigger than the previous two. No problems with turned up ears. I acquired these nannies already bred so I am thinking at the next breeding my full boer billy will not pass this ear thing on? I let the new mothers into the same paddock this am, they know each other, so far no fights or problems. Hope I am not combining them to quickly but if I don't I have to carry water, feed and hay. It's noon and over 90 degrees here in southwest kansas.

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

Well, I guess we know where all the doelings went!

Congratulations on two sets of twin doelings! I hope I'm as lucky...two weeks to go for me!

Meg

11. GOATDADDY

Thanks a bunch! I've got two more to go but they look like they will not be kidding for a while. I've got this one nanny I bought back in march or so. she was very tall and lean when I bought her. she is dark brown with sort of tan highlights on her head, ears and legs. She is very graceful and has a very sophisticated style about her. I have a white nanny with horns and she seems to be the boss of my herd but if she wasn't around I know this one would be. I don't know who or what the father of her kids are but I bet they are good looking kids. I have a great looking boer billy I bought from an old guy that deals in assorted animals. I wish I could send a picture. He looks as good as any I have ever seen on the web. I think they will have great kids together. She looks like a nubian to me. Ok I'm done for now.

12. 4rnubians

4rnubians Well-Known Member

Congratulations!
    This year we were lucky...
    6 does, 4 bucks
    Last year we have only 2 does & 5 bucks.