newborn with weak hock

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Jcran, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

My fb boer doe dropped two big bucklings on Sept. 1st...each weighed 10 lbs plus/minus an oz. One buckling has a VERY wobbly back hock. It almost looks as if its missing a ligament or something. I missed the birth and so can't say she didn't step on him and break it, but it is cool, there is no pain or swelling. When he walks, his hock almost inverts itself backwards at times or swings WAY to the outside.. I've seen kids born way back on pasterns for a couple days but nothing like this. Today he is up a bit more but still really wobbly on it; should I wrap it or wait it out a bit more? I gave them each a titch more than 1/4 cc of bo-se on Saturday morning. I'd appreciate your thoughts out there.

2. stacygoats

stacygoats Well-Known Member

I would just try rubbing it every day in the straight position and it will more tham likely come out fine. It may have been bent this way in the womb, with no room to flex, so it may take a while. We had a boer buckling born like this (one of triplets) and assumed he was just crunched inside the doe, but was fine within about 4 days.

3. suburbanite

suburbanite Well-Known Member

N. Calif./was USDA 9b before global warming
    I do not keep goats, but it seems to me that 'orthopedics' would be the same across species'. I think if you can splint this in the right position without limiting blood flow or causing some other hazard, then splinting it would be a good thing to do. Otherwise the loose tendons might stay stretched because they keep getting re-injured or re-stretched whenever the joint is bent wrongly.

No goat vets around over the long weekend, I guess. :( Can you afford a vet trip? IF it is a ruptured tendon then the vet can sew it back together, and sooner is better than later. Older critters don't heal as well as younger ones so that would work in this kid's favor.

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a little doe last season with wobbly front legs. I finally decided to splint them lightly. As I recall, I just used cardboard. In a few days she was good as new and I took them off. I don't like to wait more than a few days to do something about it, because I want to be sure they straighten out right.
    mary

5. Jcran

Jcran Well-Known Member

Yeah, I am thinking that if he is still wobbly tonight when I get home from planning my school week, then I'll vet wrap him.

6. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

My Saanen doeling looked like that on both hocks this spring - she straightened up in about three days with no interference. It was pretty sickening to watch for the first little while though! My two Nigie bucklings were walking on their back knuckles for a couple of days too - they're fine.