Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newborn that was never interested in nursing. Mom abandonded it and I tried w/ no luck to get it to eat. What could be wrong w/ it? I have had a few kids over the last few years that were failure to thrive. For no real reason just would not nurse and get w/ it. Mom had tried to get it to eat and she had no luck. Not really floppy or sickly just like a hunger strike. I can only think that there is something missing. I think the baby was a twin and it is doing well. I can't think of what the problem could be. What mineral or vit. could do this?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
How old is it now? We had one kid this year who really did not eat much at all her first two days - she's a piggy thing now, though. Some just take longer to get started.

That being said, it could also be selenium deficiency, I think. If you have Bo/Se a little shot wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I thought I had the same problem with some of my first Kids. Seems like if you spend a lot of time watching them they won't nurse. Leave them alone in a pen for the first few days and usually it works out fine. Ken

·
why hide it?
1,586 Posts
Make sure it's body temp is up. A chilled kid will not nurse. I know it has been warm but did it rain there and get cooler or was it born at night and spend too long in the amniotic fluid? It needs to eat or it will die. Tube it or bottle it but get some colostrum into it. Take a rectal temp. If it's belly is fat and not hollw then perhaps it has nursed. I don't know how old it is, that makes a difference. Selenium is a good thing to give weak kids. get BoSe from the vet. 1/2 cc subQ for kids or 1/4 cc for very tiny kids. You can give for several days in a row if necessary. Make sure the kids lungs are not rattly. Does it have normal stools. Do a systems check.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lost the first kid but now have a second one. :shrug: I am thinking it has floppy kid as its back legs are crossed like someone who has had polio. When I found her it looked like she had done a face plant in the dirt. I read that is common (dirt eating) w/ floppy kid. Do I have to give thimine? Where do I get it? I don't really understand what causes it so I can prevent it. Does it mean the does need a CD/T shot before kidding? she is bottle feeding and I gave her a shot of Bo-Se it hasn't killed her yet so fingerscrossed.

I called the vet and was sort of blown off. Said baby was faliure to thrive and give all info. and asked if there was anything I could try. I had to bring in goat and baby for them to tell me anything. Do a lot of test then "maybe" they could tell me something. tried to find mom but no luck I think mom had left it after it would not nurse anymore on its own.

I really am tired of tring to be my own vet. Why can't the answers be clear and easy. Every year a new "thing" comes up. I am so sick of loosing babies before I can get the "what" figured out and then playing around w/ the fix. Why are goat so fragile? Good grief my sheep were easier than these goats. I thought sheep were to be the most breakable. Not by a long shot. :bdh:

What is done for floppy kid and could this be it? I know it is not cocci as they are too young. the does are on preventative decoxx w/ showgoat feed and have been wormed in the last month. Also have minerals 24/7.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.